Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Mitochondrial proton gradient and uncoupling protein in brow
Transcript of Mitochondrial proton gradient and uncoupling protein in brow
UCP-1 and Oxidative Stress
Reactive oxygen species are byproducts of the electron transport chain
Reactive oxygen specie overproduction leads to oxidative stress
What are UCPs?
- Located between ATP synthase
and the rest of the ETC
- Ion channel for hydrogen ions
- Dissipates the proton gradient
- RESULT = less ATP produced
1) Energy balance
2) Oxidative stress control
3) Thermal homeostasis
**Our topic refers to Brown Adipose
Tissue (BAT), so UCP1 will be focused on**
Mitochondrial proton gradient and
uncoupling protein in brown fat
Noor El-Dassouki, Tanjot Singh, David Di Iorio, Michelle Lung
- UCP -> lowers production rate of ATP
- This doesn't mean these proteins are bad for you!
(Instead, it helps balance energy and heat)
- Some parts of the body focus on ATP production while others focus on heat production (E.g. brown fat)
Brown fat displays increased activity in the cold-acclimated state
Increased proton electrochemical gradient corresponds to a decreased rate of heat production
Enzyme activity determines respiration rate
Norepinephrine Causes UCP-1
What is norepinephrine?
A hormone that controls our attention and responses
Noradrenergic refers to the areas of the body that produce or are affected by norepinephrine
What does it effect?
Production of uncoupling protein called thermogenin
Production of ATP
Oxidative stress is an unavoidable consequence of being in an aerobic environment
→When UCP 1 is present the production of ATP decreases
→When UCP 1 isn’t present ROS increase, so there is more oxidative stress
This is why it is important to have UCP 1