Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Capoeira
- Four million slaves by 1888
- Symbol of resistance to oppression
- Performances (theatrical, acrobatic)
Passo A Frente in Atlanta Georgia
Music in Capoeira
Contra Mestre Bocao
What is it?
- martial art
Where did it come from?
- Created by the slaves brought to Brazil from Africa
- Were unable to have weapons or defend themselves
- Trained martial arts but disguised it as a dance so they were not punished
- The place where the game of capoeira is played
-Players form a circle
- Two players enter to play the game
- The "roda" or circle of people plays instruments/claps hands and sings in Portuguese
- The style of game is determien by the berimbau's rhythm
-Capoeira school in Georgia
-Mission: Passo a Frente (PAF) is dedicated to providing quality instruction in the cultural arts of Brazil.
-The art of fighting with a smile
- Grew up in Sao Paulo, Brazil in a neighborhood called Pirituba
- had soccer leg injury and used capoeira to strengthen leg
- went to university to study publicity and marketing in 2003
- Founded Passo A Frente in 2010
Why capoeira is important to him
- sharing and preserving the Brazilian culture
- capoeira is a form of energy
- role model for life
when you get knocked down you must get up again
- signifies an important part of Brazilian history
- keeps him connected to his roots
- differences in US
- different types of energy
- sense of community