Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Values
Complexity in Lord of the Flies
A longing is an extremely strong desire for something.
Six Pillars of Complexity
The pleasures of the
difficulty, paradox, ambiguity,
and multilayered meanings in
"There was a ship. Out there. You said you'd keep the fire going and you let it out!"
Want to be saved
“Daddy taught me. He’s a commander in the Navy. When he gets leave he’ll come and rescue us.” “When’ll your dad rescue us?” “Soon as he can”
Ralph (Page 13)
“Cautiously, his stick trailing behind him, Ralph wormed between the rising stems. When he reached the middle of the mat he lay and listened.” Page 197
-Ralph longs for different things, during the story
-Ralph first longs to be rescued
-He was without any other concerns, besides leaving
-At the end, Ralph longs just to be alive
-Smaller matters are overshadowed by the larger matters
"I ought to be chief because i am chapter chorister and head boy."
- Jack (22)
- "You haven't got it with you. You left it behind. See clever? And the conch doesn't even count on this end of the island."
"Who will join my tribe?"
"Before I could kill it- but next time-!"
" And they keep running off. You remember the meeting? How we were all supposed to work hard until the shelters were done."
Something that is intended to happen or planned.
“Viciously, with full intention, he hurled his spear at Ralph.”
-Jack intends to scare Ralph
-He never intended to kill him
-Instead, he wanted him to quiver
for a moment
Jack is only focused on hunting
"If Jack was chief he'd have all hunting and no fire. We'd be here till we died"
- Ralph (93)
- Jack wants pigs
- He does not care for the fire
- Hurts the survival of the group
The marks or faults of the character
- Jack's Attitude gets worse
- Becomes mad with power
A way of thinking about someone or
reason for acting in a way
-Both Ralph & Jack were motivated
- Ralph wanted to work on the huts
- Jack wanted to kill a pig
All Quotes from: Golding, William. Lord of the Flies. New York: Coward-McCann, 1962. Print.
The regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something