Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Closures and Transition Sentences in Body Paragraphs
Transcript of Closures and Transition Sentences in Body Paragraphs
N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Mar. 2013.
"TRANSITION WORDS." Transition Words. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Mar. 2013.
"Welcome to the Purdue OWL." Purdue OWL. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Mar. 2013. 1. Thomas has blue hair. However, Ben has red hair. Compare and contrast: Answers 1. Pretest Find the transitional words! 1. However
2. All in all
3. In fact
4. Finally To show place or direction: 2. All in all, the best part of dinner is the dessert. 3. Turtles can live for a very long time. In fact, some types of turtles can live for 400 years. You can use transitions... When you want to add information: Useful words:Also, furthermore, next, too, in addition, lastly, etc. Furthermore, polar bears have clear hair follicles that reflect light and make them appear white. Useful words: But, yet, (but and yet are conjunctions and transition words)compared to, although, meanwhile, however, whereas, etc. I want to dye my hair green, although the blue dye looks nice. Cats meow whereas dogs bark. Key Terms English pd. 5 May 10 Useful words:Before, lastly, next, finally, then, first, etc. Finally, the chicken made it to the other side. Then the depressed armadillo fell face first into his cake leading him into further depression. To summarize: All in all, armadillos are an interesting type of animal. When should transitions be used? 2. 3. Find the transition words: First the little girl found a ladybug. Then the little girl trapped the ladybug. Later, the girl let the bug go. 4. Transitions should be used when connecting ideas, sentences or paragraphs. 2. Closure sentences tie back into your thesis and explains to readers why your point is important. 3. First, then, later 4. Review You can also use a transition to... -to prove
-to show exception
-to give an example
-to show sequence
-to repeat Transition: A transition connects paragraphs together to unify a paper.
Conjunction: Any member of a small class of words distinguished in many languages by their function as connectors between words, phrases, clauses, or sentences, as and, because, but, however. Without a transition your paper may sound awkward: Do I always need a transition? There isn't a clear answer to this. Not every paragraph will need a transition. Some paragraphs have don't need a transition because the wording is confusion-free and naturally leads to the next paragraph. -transitions are used to connect ideas and paragraphs
-transitions aren't always needed
-paper may jump around/sound choppy without a transition
-closures wrap up your paragraph
-conjunctions and transtitions are not the same 4. Finally, I was able to set the table with frisbees instead of plates. Amy Tan became a famous author after her novel, The Joy Luck Club, skyrocketed up the bestseller list.
There are other things to note about Tan as well. Amy Tan also participates in the satirical garage band the Rock Bottom Remainders with Stephen King and Dave Barry. Revised with a transition Amy Tan became a famous author after her novel, The Joy Luck Club, skyrocketed up the bestseller list.
Though her fiction is well known, her work with the satirical garage band the Rock Bottom Remainders receives far less publicity. *transitions can come at the end or beginning of a paragraph In conclusion, rain is the best type of weather. Closure Sentences Closure sentences are used at the end of a paragraph. A closure sentence briefly wraps up the paragraph and ties in with your thesis. Why is this important? Since closure sentences tie back into your thesis your readers will understand why the point your making is valid/relevant. What does a closure sentence do and why is it important? *and is a conjunction, not a transition word Compared to the hare, the turtle is a slow animal. Compared to