Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of BULLYING
Some general info...
Characteristics of BULLIES
View weaker children as prey, rather than as people to be protected
Low school connection
Avoid adult awareness
Lack adult role models
Refuse to accept responsibility for their actions
Consequences for VICTIMS
depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, loneliness
avoidance of school
depression and low self-esteem into adulthood
HE Chapter 10: Preventing Intentional Injuries and Violence
What are the four types of bullying?
Why does bullying continue?
do not tell adults
unaware, do not know how to intervene,
or just do not intervene
What can SCHOOLS do?
What can TEACHERS do?
Afraid of retaliation
Don't think anyone can help
hitting, kicking, pushing
name calling, yelling, threatening
Electronically communicating threats, rumors, images, etc. through a post, email, text...
spreading rumors, gossiping, excluding
Intentionally manipulating relationships
What is bullying?
intentional acts of
intended to cause fear,
School definition & intervention strategies
Consistent, appropriate consequences
lesser (mild teasing) vs. more strict (physical harm, harassing)
bullies & bystanders
Continually monitor & assess bully-prevention program
Create classroom rules
Enforce with consistency
Use proactive activities focused on prevention
What would you do? How much courage would it take? Why wouldn't you do the right thing?
1. The new kid is sitting alone at recess
2. You know a fight is going to happen at lunch- do you tell the teacher?
3. A mean group of kids is yelling "come here" at you
Resource for teachers and parents: