Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of a01
Mangroves are special kinds of trees that grow near salt water and send out roots from its trunk and branches. These roots provide house for different creatures.
COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES
1. I like people who ______________
2. The music that I like best is __________
3. The Web sites that I visit the most are _________.
How do mangrove forests benefit the environment?
Why are mangrove forests being destroyed?
What are some suggestions for protecting these forests?
Unit 2 - protecting our planet
Look at these pictures
What do you know about these animals?
West African Rhinoceros
Who do you think should be responsible for protecting endangered species?
Governments? Companies? Citizens?
reef forming corals
Political prisoners in many countries are convicted in trials which
internationally agreed standards.
that pollution of the world's oceans is increasing
I haven't heard yet what the
is on my request for a transfer.
In old China, capitalists
the poor by making them work for almost nothing
The main environmental
to human health in many towns and cities nowadays is from exposure to air pollution
There is an
dispute between the two countries regarding fishing rights off the coast
are being developed for safeguarding giant pandas and their habitat in China.
The doctor figures it'll take my grandmother over two months to
from her operation
Interest in the planet Mars has greatly increased since
of water raised the possibility that life in some form may have evolved there.
Freedom from slavery did not dramatically
the lives of the thousands of African-Jamaicans, most of whom remained poor peasants.
facts or physical signs that prove that something is true.
continuing to happen
to do the opposite of an agreement or law.
a state or condition at a particular time.
situations that can cause harm or danger.
plans to achieve a goal.
signs that something is true.
to return to an earlier healthy state.
to be profited from.
types of habitats
CORRECT THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES
7. Juan loves rock musicians from the 1970s
Jimmy Hendrix and Janis Joplin.
1. When I go camping, I bring lots of things
, for example,
a fishing rod, matches, and a sleeping bag.
2. There have been many leaders in history who have tried to rule the entire world
, for instance,
Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great.
pizza and hamburgers are not really junk food; they contain a lot of protein and vitamins.
4. Heesun has met many famous people.
one time she met Jacques Chirac.
5. When I visit Korea, I want to go to many cities
Seoul and Taegu.
6. Joyce has studied many Asian languages
, for instance,
Korean, Chinese, and Thai.
A restrictive modifying clause is an adjective clause that is essential to the meaning of a sentence because it
the thing it refers to.
who do their work
should pass easily.
that I want
is out of my price range
A nonrestrictive modifying clause is an adjective clause that adds
extra or nonessential
information to a sentence. The meaning of the sentence would not change if the clause were to be omitted.
The island of Puerto Rico
, which I visited last month
was a Spanish colony until 1898.
Edgar Allan Poe
, who wrote "The Raven,
" is a great American poet.
don't need commas
a phrase that modifies a noun
RESTRICTIVE ADJECTIVE CLAUSES
(FOR THINGS OR ANIMALS)
10.A river which is polluted is not safe for swimming.
1.Only people who speak Russian should apply for the job.
2.Irina ,who speaks Russian, applied for the job.
3.Marco and Guillermo ,who did not come to class yesterday, explained their absence to the instructor.
4.The students who did not come to class yesterday explained their absence to the teacher.
5.The geologist who lectured at Browning Hall last night predicted another earthquake.
6.Dr. Fields, who lectured at Browning Hall last night,predicted another earthquake.
7.The rice which we had for dinner last night was very good.
8.Rice ,which is grown in many countries, is a staple food throughout much of the world.
9.The Mississippi River ,which flows south from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico, is the major commercial river in the United States.
starred in the movie Titanic.
a young man
. We interviewed
The police captured
fingerprints were on the stolen car.
We met an actress
starred in the movie Titanic.
The police captured a suspect
fingerprints were on the stolen car.
We hired a young man
we interview last week.
COMBINE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES
1. That is the man. He stole my grandmother's purse.
2. I am looking for a woman. Her jacket is red.
3. He is the boy. You were talking to him yesterday.
4. I can see the little girl. She broke my window with her baseball.
5. He wants to marry a woman. She has a lot of money.
6. I'm looking for a student. His last name begins with "S"
7. The women were nice. They visited our school.
8. He was telling a story. The story interested me.
9. The drumbeat was a signal. I heard it.
10. The examples were clear. Marcos wrote them.
11. The car broke down. Luis was driving it.
once a year
Money provided for a specific purpose
People who have the power to make decisions .
To pay no attention to.
To be able to be kept at a certain level.
To keep in good condition.
The opposite of...
To help a cause with money or time.
What does a marine biologist do?
What can be interesting or difficult about this job?
1.Why does this person like her job?
2. What is the objective of her research?
3. Does she get discouraged by the fact that the number of extincted species increases?
4. In which other ways could people contribute?
THE YELLOWSTONE WOLF PROJECT
what is it?
1. If a wolf attacks a farmer's sheep or cattle, should the farmer have the right to kill the wolf? Explain your opinion.
2. Do you think the government should pay farmers or ranchers whose animals are killed by wolves? Why or why not?
What is your opinion on hunting?
Are some kinds of hunting more acceptable than others?
Would you like to try this activity?
Pronouncing -s Endings
REFUTING AN ARGUMENT
use a word or phrase to show that you have a different point of view.
That's a good argument, but...
That may be true, but on the other hand...
You are right that......; however....
• All murderers should be executed. It's time we enforce stricter laws in our country.
•You will be happier if you stay unmarried. Many cases have proven that marriage only causes problems.
show that you heard the other speaker's argument.
DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE?
1.Everybody is basically selfish.
2.Beauty is a matter of personal preference.
3.Personality is more important than beauty.
4.Love can't last forever.
5.Students should not have religious classes in school.
6.Blondes aren’t as smart as brunettes.
7.Violence is necessary sometimes.
8. Women are less violent than men.
9.Money is more important than love.
10.Possession of drugs should require jail time
non-restrictive adjective clauses
This adjective clauses provide
therefore they do not change the meaning of the sentence if they are avoided.
which is located in Peru
, is a beautiful tourist spot.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez,
who died in 2014
, was one of the most famous novelists of our time.
whose house is
next to mine
, is one of my best friends.
Non restrictive clauses are always separated by a
restrictive or non-restrictive
1. The man who had the mustache insisted on getting an answer.
2. Mr. Hoffer whose family lives in Germany will be our guest this weekend.
3. The explanation that she had given them seemed to horrible to be true.
4. Mr. Johnson whose son attends the University is our friend.
5. Thomas Jefferson who was born on the frontier became President.
6. My father who was a country boy has lived in the city for years.
7. The girl by whom I sat in class is an honor student.
8. Jet pilots who are not in excellent physical condition should not be allowed to fly.
9. She is a woman who is respected by everyone.