Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Jamestown
A Virginian Colony
Jamestown was the first permanent English settlement in the Americas.
Why was Jamestown able to survive?
It was founded on the James River in1607
*Note: this is 13 years before the Pilgrims crossed the Atlantic in the Mayflower and landed at Plymouth Rock
by The Virginia Company of London
Who sponsored Columbus' trip to the New World?
King James chartered the trip in 1606.
*Note: this is how the James River and the Jamestown Colony got their names
The Virginia Company's 3 Goals:
2. Find the Northwest Passage to the Far East
3. Convert the Native Americans to the English
Anglican is the name for the Christian Church of England, which separated from the Roman Catholic Church in 1534 when Henry VIII was not allowed to annul his marriage to Catherine of Aragon.
Three ships left England in December 1606 and reached the Virginia Coast in April 1607.
There were 104 men and boys as passengers
Once they chose the location, they began work building a colony
Why did the colonists at Jamestown build a fort?
2. What were the reasons the colonists chose their location?
3. Why were there no Indians living at Jamestown?
Chief Powhatan was the leader of the Algonquins who neighbored Jamestown
The Jamestown colonists began constructing their town on Chief Powhatan's land
What do you predict will happen?
1. Poor relations with the Algonquin neighbors
2. Unfamiliar climate
3. Salty water supply
4. Lack of food
5. A prolonged
Captain John Smith - became the leader of Jamestown
"No Work No Food" policy
After Smith left, Jamestown entered a period of Indian hostility, starvation, and disease called "
Jamestown found economic success with
and the Tobacco crop.
Rolfe married Pocahontas,
1619, The first elected assembly was created. The House of Burgesses
1. What Jamestown problems are illustrated in this painting?
1. Find Gold and return to England as rich men