Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Managing the physical environment of the classrom
Transcript of Managing the physical environment of the classrom
A well-designed utilization of classroom space is of utmost necessity if the aim is to be able to manage all learning activities to a successful completion. How should the environment be structured for effective teaching and learning.
The semi-permanent arrangement of the chairs is one where they arrange in 4 rows with 6 to eight in a row
If the activities need grouping, the chairs are organized in groups of 4-5 facing each other for fast exchange of communications.
The physical features in the classroom must be located in areas where the contents could be viewed well and be made available for use.
Well arranged, they make the room look spacious and orderly.
Exhibit shelves are either permanently pinned to the wall or are made to stand at the sides.
White board for writing and clarifying lesson discussions, together with bulletin boards, are available for posting important messages and outstanding pieces of students work, art and illustrations.
Furniture such as chairs and tables for demonstrations or displays must be positioned appropriately.
The Physical Condition of the Classroom
Clean rooms, hallways and surroundings
students should be trained to mop or wash the area immediately
use instruments and devices must be returned to their proper places.
erase the writings on the board after use
proper disposal of waste
proper lighting and ventilation
noise and discipline problems must be avoided
most important is the psychological atmosphere
Sufficient space is allotted in the aisles & in between the seats for ease in moving around.
If they need a wide space at the center as in exhibitions & short drama, the chairs are lined close to the wall around the room.
The choice of the right size of the chair would depend on the student's size. If kept on a large desk or a smaller one they will feel uncomfortable & their movements will be affected
Below are some sample seating arrangements:
1. Traditional rows in columns are ideal for establishing classroom management. This arrangement allows students to focus on you when you are lecturing or teaching routines and procedures. it is great for direct instruction.
2. Position student desks so that they face the center when you are facilitating classroom discussions. The outer area is ideal for skits, role playing, and student.
3. Situate chairs around tables so that students do not have their backs facing you. When it is time for small group activities, they can move their chairs to face each other. This arrangement is ideal for cooperative learning activities. Be aware that seating students in groups invites dialogue, which is great if that is your purpose.
4. This format is wonderful if you have desks because you can rearrange them from traditional rows into groups and back again, depending on your lesson plan. Teach students how to quickly rearrange the desks to facilitate small group work.
Thank you for listening.
Prepared by: Rogemar E. Juanillo