Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of L3 video
Maximise glide distance
Modular, easily-adjustable, light-weight, easy-to-replace components
Driven wheel diameter
Tail angle and size
Ramp angle = 15 degrees
5:1 motor gear ratio
Aspect ratio = 5
3.5 m/s exit velocity
3.5 m glide distance
Adjustable tail-setting angle
Tail setting angle + mounting position adjusted
3 Wings were tested...
AR5 Rib & spar wing
AR5 foam flat plate
AR1.5 foam flat plate
Ramp angle: 5 degrees
Final Weight: 48.6 g
Theoretical VS Experimental
Did the model fly straight?
Did the model achieve the desired flight trajectory?
Did the model stall?
Predicted distance: 3.5 m VS actual distance: 2.6 m
Friction losses unaccounted for
Smaller reaction force at front-driven wheels
Shaft twist causing uneven torque distribution
Insufficient friction between the tires and ramp.
Many assumptions made for simplification of the mathematical model will not hold true
model flying straight
linear lift-curve slope
model not slipping
model not stalling
Optimisation of one factor may lead to de-optimisation of another