Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Writing paragraphs
What is a paragraph?
Gold, a precious metal, is prized for two important characteristics. First of all, gold has a lustrous beauty that is resistant to corrosion. Therefore, it is suitable for jewelry, coins, and ornamental purposes. Gold never needs to be polished and will remain beautiful forever. For example, a Macedonian coin remains as untarnished today as the day it was made 25 centuries ago. Another important characteristic of gold is its usefulness to industry and science. For many years, it has been used in hundreds of industrial applications, such as photography and dentistry. The most recent use of gold is in astronauts’ suits. Astronauts wear gold-plated heat shields for protection when they go outside spaceships in space. In conclusion, gold is treasured not only for its beauty, but also for its utility.
Think about the following:
What is academic writing?
The three parts of a paragraph
Writing a paragraph
A paragraph is a basic unit of organization in writing in which a group of sentences develops
one main idea
How long should a good paragraph be?
Exercise: narrow each of the following general topics to one specific aspect that could be written about in one paragraph: 1) school 2) television
3) sports 4) entertainment 5) food.
1. Topic sentence
A. Controlling idea - the part of the topic sentence that announces the specific area
to be discussed.
Notice how the topic sentence of the model states both the topic and the controlling idea:
, a precious metal, is prized
for two important characteristics
2. Supporting sentences
– develop the topic sentence. That is, they explain or prove the topic sentences by giving more information about it.
3. A concluding sentence
– signals the end of the paragraph and leaves the reader with important points to remember.