Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Digitally Altered Advertisements Influence and Impact on Young Girls
Transcript of Digitally Altered Advertisements Influence and Impact on Young Girls
large audiences. Mass media reaches
audiences via radio, TV, the internet, and
films. Women in Advertisements What is Mass Media? - Advertisements depict women in unrealistic, and inaccurate ways.
- Advertisements show women as "perfect" and flawless objects who have no imperfections.
- Advertisements, both in magazines and on the TV, show the younger generation, middle school and high school girls, what the new "norms" are for being a beautiful women
- This includes things like
-Being extremely thin Magazines and Pictures being Digitally Retouched to Perfection There are so many retouching services that people can use not only for magazines, but for personal use. One example is Lookbetteronline.com Women in Magazines Correlation to Eating
Disorders -There has been tons of evidence linking girls who look at magazines of these airbrushed and perfect pictures, then compare to themselves.
- Below is a personal story one on girls struggle : Changing the "Norm" If we stop digital editing bodies to look unnaturally thin in applications like Photoshop, retouching applications,and other image altering methods, we can change society view of the "norm" when it comes to women and beauty Dove "flawless" Commercial This Dove Commercial
attempts to shine light
onto how advertisements
are digitally edited to
create a "perfect",
unachievable women Before and After Images in Magazines How she Normally Looks VS Digitally Edited - "She looked at the full length mirror, and then at the Cosmo magazine she held in her delicate hand. Then once again, she looked at the mirror in pure disgust. She tried sucking her gut in, combing her hair over to the opposite side simply picking and prodding at each aspect of herself. She turned to the side and closely examined her body from head to toe, and then did the same thing to the sickly thin, glam, retouched model posing seductively. She let out an extraneous sigh and fell back onto her bed. Six out of ten girls go through this drawn out routine each day. The media portrays a negative effect on a teen girl" Read More at: http://www.teenink.com/hot_topics/health/article/260731/Girl-vs-Media/ Take a Stand and lets make Change! Before and After in Magazines Eating Disorders As a result of women falsely portrayed in the media Advertisements Advertising is one of the main influential types of media in our culture.
It affects what we eat, what we wear, and how we look Statistics - The average U.S. model weighs 117 lbs and is 5’11 while the average U.S. woman weighs 140 lbs. and is 5’4. - 69% of girls in one study said that magazine models influence their idea of the perfect body shape This shows how much touch-up happens in our advertisements To read more about lookbetteronline.com and see before and after photos, go to: http://www.lookbetteronline.com/dating-photos/before-after-examples/ One of the most controversial altered images was seen in the Ralph Lauren magazine. Before and After This video is about a girl who confronted Seventeen Magazine and convinces them to stop extremely alter their images. As a result, girls in the magazine can look natural and normal in weight and height Interested? Read more... http://facts.randomhistory.com/eating-disorders-facts.html - Statistics http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthyplace.com%2Feating-disorders%2Farticles%2Feating-disorders-body-image-and-advertising%2F&ei=vm6lUNLCEObxygHCyYGwAQ&usg=AFQjCNE5JwoB-56lQZ0ciK1MyAY5R9EGXw http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1840556,00.html Glee Actress Nylon Magazine :
Before and After girl in shower:
Before and After, couple in black underwear :
Britney Spears in Pink:
Very Skinny Model:
Girl looking at self in mirror:
http://jillianjohnson11.wordpress.com/author/jillianjohnson11/ Image Sources