Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Archimedes' Principle
The Law of Buoyancy
"The buoyant force acting on a submerged or floating object is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid."
the buoyant force = the weight of the displaced water
- the tendency of a body to float or to rise when submerged in a fluid
where P = pressure
A = area
- the amount of an object (weight or mass) there is an a given volume (the amount of water the object displaces).
Water (H2O) = 1g/cm³ or 1000kg/m³
1 g =1 cm³ = 1 mL
- simply when something (e.g. a block) is put into water, and the water level rises.
You have a block of a mystery material, 12 m long, 11 m wide and 3.5 m thick. Its mass is 1155 grams.
Principle of Floatation
If density of the object = density of liquid, buoyant force = weight of the object: it will float
If density of the object > density of liquid, buoyant force < weight of the object: it will sink
submerged volume/total volume = density of object/density of liquid
What percentage of the volume of ice is submerged water? Ice has a density of 900 kg/m³.
Specific Gravity Determination
It is the ratio of density of substance to the density of water.
specific gravity = Wa/Wa-Ww
specific gravity = Wa- WL/Wa-Ww
A stone is found to weigh 6.2 N in air, 4.5 in water, and 5.3 N in an unknown liquid. Find the density of the stone and unknown liquid.