Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
How to follow the MLA 2009 Format
Transcript of How to follow the MLA 2009 Format
No more Underlining (only use italics) for Book Title and other titles
Publication Medium (e.g. Print, Web, etc.)
New Abbreviations (e.g. “N.p.” for “no publisher given”) #1 Rule for Formatting Style Always Follow the instructor General Guidelines
Type on white A4 paper
Use 12 pt. Times New Roman font (or similar font)
Leave only one space after punctuation
Set all margins to 1 inch on all sides
Indent the first line of paragraphs one half-inch General Format Guidelines
Header with page numbers in the upper right corner
Use italics for titles
Endnotes go on a separate page before your Works Cited page
Format for the first Page No title page
Double space everything
In the upper left corner of the 1st page, list your
name, your instructor's name, the course, and date
Center the paper title (use standard caps but no
underlining, italics, quote, or bold)
Create a header in the upper right corner at half
inch from the top and one inch from the right of the
page (include your last name and page number) 2009 changes in MLA: Sample Section Headings Numbered ( left aligned with no underlining, bold, or italics):
1. Soil Conservation
2. Water Conservation
Citation with an Author Burke, Kenneth. Language as Symbolic Action: Essays
on Life, Literature, and Method. Berkeley: U of
California P, 1966. Print.
Citation with Unknown Author Text We see so many global warming hotspots in North America likely because this region has “more readily accessible climatic data and more comprehensive programs to monitor and study environmental change . . .” (“Impact of Global Warming” 6). Citation “The Impact of Global Warming in North America.”
GLOBAL WARMING: Early Signs. 1999. Web. 23 Mar.
Formatting Short Quotes According to some, dreams express "profound aspects of personality" (Foulkes 184), though others disagree.
According to Foulkes's study, dreams may express "profound aspects of personality" (184).
Is it possible that dreams may express "profound aspects of personality" (Foulkes 184)?
Cullen concludes, "Of all the things that happened there / That's all I remember" (11-12).
Jan Harold Brunvand, in an essay on urban legends, states: "some individuals [who retell urban legends] make a point of learning every rumor or tale".
In an essay on urban legends, Jan Harold Brunvand notes that "some individuals make a point of learning every recent rumor or tale . . . and in a short time a lively exchange of details occurs". Adding/Omitting Words Web Citation Bernstein, Mark. "10 Tips on Writing the Living Web.”
A List Apart: For People Who Make Websites. A
List Apart Mag., 16 Aug. 2002. Web. 4 May 2009.
Watch this video to know more about how to use the MLA Format Bibliography: Web Editor, author, or compiler name (if available). “Article
Name.” Name of Site. Version number. Name of
institution/organization affiliated with the site (sponsor
or publisher). Date of last update. Medium of publication.
Date of access.
Scholarly Journal Article in Scholarly Journal Format:
Author(s). "Title of Article." Title of Journal Volume.Issue (Year):
pages. Medium of publication.
Duvall, John N. "The (Super)Marketplace of Images: Television
as Unmediated Mediation in DeLillo's White Noise." Arizona
Quarterly 50.3 (1994): 127- 53. Print.
Speech/Interview Personal Interview Example:
Purdue, Pete. Personal interview. 1 Dec. 2000.
Stein, Bob. Computers and Writing Conference.
Purdue University. Union Club Hotel, West
Lafayette, IN. 23 May 2003. Keynote address.
Film The Usual Suspects. Dir. Bryan Singer. Perf. Kevin
Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Chazz Palminteri, Stephen
Baldwin, and Benecio del Toro. Polygram, 1995.
If you still want to know more, visit:
Purdue OWL: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/ Books Basic Format:
Lastname, Firstname. Title of Book. Place of Publication:
Publisher, Year of Publication. Medium of Publication.
Gleick, James. Chaos: Making a New Science. New York:
Penguin, 1987. Print.
Works Cited (a list of all sources used in the paper) MLA Regulates
* Refer to the table and its corresponding numeral in-text.
* Situate the table near the text to which it relates.
* Align the table flush-left to the margin.
* Place a caption above the table (make sure it is a suitable for the table and its contents) flush-left, making sure to maintain basic MLA style formatting (e.g. one-inch margins).
* Below the title, signal the source information with the descriptor Source, followed by a colon, then provide the correct MLA bibliographic information for the source in note form . Use a hanging indent for lines after the first. If you provide source information with your illustrations, you do not need to provide this information on the Works Cited page.
* If additional caption information or explanatory notes is necessary, use lowercase letters formatted in superscript in the caption information or table. Below the source information, indent, provide a corresponding lowercase letter (not in superscript), a space, and the note.
* Labels, captions, and notes are double-spaced. MLA Documentation for Tables Bibliography This is just to increase the awareness of the use of MLA Format. Please keep in mind that the teachers requirements are the priority, and please do follow any changes, if there are, made by the teacher to this format. Any information that is wrong or misleading is not the editor's fault, as all the information was accessed from Purdue University Online Writing Lab. Follow these steps and guidelines when doing your project, research paper or anything else that may need the MLA Format A Quiz on what you have learnt so far Based on your knowledge of the MLA Fomat, which one of these citations is probably in MLA format?
Kauffmann, S. (1993, October 18). On films: class consciousness. The New Republic, p. 30.
Whitaker, Mark. "Getting Tough at Last." Newsweek 10 May 1993: 22.Print. True/False: When you do a paper in MLA Format, you do not need to have a seperate title page. True
False The first element that appears in the citation is:
Title of the book or article
Author's last name (if an author is given) When doing a paper in MLA Format, you should neglect the teacher's instructions and follow the MLA Format with no changes. True
When formatting, which of the two instructions is correct? Use Times New Roman (or similar font), print on A4 size paper and have the lines double spaced.
Use Forte font, print on A3 size paper and have the lines single spaced. MLA styled document should be printed on a whote A4 Paper?
Tip: Writing Bibliographies can take a lot of time and it is a pain too. When writing Bibliographies, use these two websites: