Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Stress Transformation & Principal Stresses
Transcript of Stress Transformation & Principal Stresses
Principal Stresses -
28th Oct - 11th Nov 2013
Principal Stresses and maximum shear stresss
How many different values can stress have at a point - the plane stress case
Combined Stresses Design examples
Stress invariants and Design
Graphical Method of Stress transformation - The Mohr Circle
The transformation equations for plane stress
Why stress transformation !
Stress components at a point for a given loading dependent on orientation of co-ordinate system.
An infinite number of stress components can be defined depending on the orientation of co-ordinate system used.
These components are not arbitrary and can be expressed as function of angle from any fixed set of reference co-ordinate orientation.
For design purpose we need to find out where these components will attain their maximum or minimum values.
Stress value is a function of coordinate system orientation
7.1 -7.5 I.H Shames
9.1 to 9.6 R.C. Hibbeler
Prepared and presented by
Dr R S Choudhry
For flash animations used in this prezi
the originals can be found at
with thanks and acknowledgment to
Dr Timothy A. Philpot
1. Derive the transformation equations for a three dimensional stress state
2. Question 7.30 Introduction to Solid Mechanics I.H. Shames
3. Prepare a spreadsheet solution or computer code to calculate stresses at any orientation from the given set of input stress state.
Submission date 11 Nov 2013 - Assignment is to be completed in groups of maximum 6 students. A short viva may be held to access individual contribution