Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Abnormal Psychology
1. Define abnormal psychology.
2. Identify the criteria psychologists use to diagnose psychological disorders.
3. Explain symptoms/causes of major mental disorders. (Mood, anxiety, somatoform, dissociative schizophrenia, personality, brain-disorders)
A psychological disorder is a harmful dysfunction in which behaviors are maladaptive, unjustifiable, disturbing & atypical.
Maladaptive Behavior- destructive behaviors towards oneself or others.
Unjustifiable Behavior- Without rational basis
Disturbing Behavior- troublesome to other people
Atypical Behavior- so different that it violates a norm
Examples of Psychological Disorders:
Dissociative Identity Disorder
If Dr. Awesome was seeing a patient, how would they use the DSM-IV?
1. Be mindful & respectful of psychological
2. Just because you are in psychology class,
does not mean you can diagnose anyone.
1.Diagnostic Criteria-need to meet MOST of criteria
2. Specific Culture & Gender features
4. Familial Pattern
5. Differential Diagnosis (what is it similar to?)