Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Modern Literary Period
Transcript of The Modern Literary Period
-The time period is documented by authors.
-Consists of many memorable authors that influence future generations.
-The literature produced is read by generations afterwards. Elements of Modern Literature that have been Influenced: Criteria that is Met -Has led to more African American writers,
as well as more African American characters
in the pieces written.
-Has led to more women writers and female
-The “unreliable narrator” has been brought
-The concept of truth vs. reality.
-Flexibility with genres.
Elements that have Affected Modern Society: -American ideas of race, sex, and religion have varied a lot throughout the years.
- Different races have become more respected and included in society.
-Sex has also become less of a private, confidential idea that is not spoken about.
- Religion has evolved since immigration has brought in a verity of new cultures and beliefs as well as the acceptance of these new beliefs have expanded. This diversity has reared less attention onto the catholic religion and church. Predominant Governing Structure: -Most the Americas and Europe were under a traditional monarchy or limited democracy.
-William Lyon Mackenzie King was the Prime Minister on Canada for a total of 22 years, starting in 1921, this making him the longest serving prime minister that Canada has ever had, often said to be one of the greatest.
-Famous for the line "[i]t is what we prevent, rather than what we do that counts most in Government." (Mackenzie King August 26, 1936) Historical Characteristics and Society: - The social structure of society during the modern period went through grand transformations because of the two world wars.
-Prior to the revolution most people lived in small villages and worked mostly as skilled craftsmen or farmers. They had very close relationships with family as they mostly worked that way.
- This changed a great deal afterwards because of new laws put into place that forced people to work in factories so that they could make enough money to sustain themselves and family. This change led to... more and more people moving into the cities so that they could be closer to the factories that they were working in.
Since women and children were sent out to work, replacing the men at war, family bonds were beginning to loosen, since they spent less time together.
The women and children working in the factories were not only beneficial to the owners because they often had smaller hands and could do more precise work, but also because they got a smaller pay. The Harlem Renaissance: - A period of time where blacks began to create
bold expressions of art to reflect their social
conditions and hardships has changed the way
that they are viewed in society.
- The new “Black is Beautiful” became a new way of viewing the race, changing their potential forever. Main topics of literature: - Many African American writers wrote about the “black experience” because it was interesting for people to read about the insight into the hard lives of the African American population.
- Beginning with writing about thoughts and emotions that later transformed into works about freedom. -New technologies and inventions
that have revolutionized society and
the way that people live.
-More rights to women and African American
people including working opportunities, equality
and acceptance in society.
-Independence from Britain: allowing Canada to make decisions of their own and continue developing, becoming a very strong nation.
-Hockey Night in Canada fist aired in 1923, helping hockey become a national sport in Canada. - Talking movies are invented in 1923, increasing the number of viewers and transforming the film industry.
- The creation of the United Nations: an organization that has since then intervened in many global issues, preventing and resolving wars and conflicts within nations and surrounding countries.
- Development of close ties with the U.S.A. that has allowed more trade and a strong alliance between the two.
- Because of the affects of women in literature during this time period, scholars are able to recognize the importance that women played. King:
-Led Canada through half the Depression and all of the Second World War.
-Introduced major social welfare policies and the federal old-age pension in 1926.
-He had a very interesting private life that people didn’t find out about until after his death and caused a lot of questioning and raised a lot of curiosity.
-He kept a diary that he wrote in daily that revealed his strong spiritual beliefs, and the frequent contact with his mom, dog and relatives, all who have passed long before. -The “Roaring Twenties” The happy times in America.
- Most people lived in cities and the nations
wealth had more than doubled from 1920- 1929.
-This led to enormous social changes: music,
dancing & slang all became huge.
- Especially among the youth, this
was a very wild time. The "Dirty Thirties": - Followed soon after, turning the “American Dream”
into a nightmare.
- The stock market began to decline in 1929,
leading to the Great Depression.
- People started to do whatever they could to be happy,
without spending a lot of money.
- Going to the movies became very popular and so did board
games, dances and listening to the radio.
- Reading also became a huge hobby, increasing the popularity
of writers. - Another main topic that was often
written about was war, as it was a major
event that impacted the lives of everybody
one way or another at that time, these
writers are known as “war poets”. The well
known poem “Flanders Field” (1915) was
written during this period. - Divisions of class and sexual inequalities were one of the biggest and most common themes in literature during the modern period.
- This was directly influenced by the way society and daily life was at the time.
- Writers often mentioned a yearning for peace and order. Female writers often wrote about their roles in society and how they are to ac in a masculine world. A new form of literature was developed:
- Focusing on inner feelings, and deeper meanings, instead of what can be seen.
- These psychological experiences allowed readers to get into the minds of the authors and understand their perspectives.
- Writing in the 1930s was often pessimistic and negative due to the hardships that
the people were facing at the time, this included loneliness and guilt. When Times Got Rough: Primary Source Review: Ulysses by James Joyce (1922) - James Joyce is known to be one of the most influential authors of the modern period and his novel "Ulysses" is known to be the most powerful book of the century. Examples of some of the authors who have directly referenced one or the other are:
Jorge Luis Borges
Mark Z. Danielewski
Philip K. Dick
David Markso Themes that Appear in Ulysses: - The themes that appear in the novel are themes
that were common at the the time that it was written, they include:
- Love, sex, patriotism, life, consciousness, existence, religion and freedom.
All of these themes relate to the social situation of life during the time. In a nutshell, the novel is about one day in the life of a middle-aged Jewish man who lives in Dublin, Ireland. The story follows him, not only physically but emotionally as well. Throughout the novel Joyce transitions between different genres (which evolves to become a popular form of writing). - James Joyce himself lived in Dublin for most of his life and therefore could write the novel with full knowledge of what life is like in the town.
- Some of the events that take place in the novel are actual events that took place in Joyce’s life, making it a slightly personal novel.
- James Joyce said that he desired to "give a picture of Dublin so complete that if the city one day suddenly disappeared from the earth it could be reconstructed out of my book".
Ulysses is significant in its own time
period because it reflects many of the
themes and ideas that were pondered
at the time.
It talks about topics that
were new and evolving at the time,
such as sex and freedom. It mentions
patriotism that was brought on my the
wars and thus allows readers to connect
and understand the story as it shares similarities with their own lives. - As for future societies, it must be saved as it gives people an idea of what life was like at that time, as it is exactly that, a day in a man’s life.
- It gives readers of the future the opportunity to practically live in the shoes of this character and feel the thoughts that Joyce felt.
- James Joyce wrote a masterpiece that has influenced so many authors and will definitely continue to do so it’s it saved. Conclusion Why should this literary time period be saved? It should be saved because it captures the times of war and hardship, the times of social evolution and technological changes. It gives answers to questions regarding the emotional reaction of the people during the evolution of cars, radio, hockey, the African American movement, and women’s rights. We are directly impacted by all the events that have occurred during the modern period. It is what formed Canada and thus is an enormous part of the past that if removed would leave pondering questions. It is the time in literary history that introduced the relationship between the conscious and unconscious mind. Prior to this, what you see is what you get; inward thinking, philosophical views and mixes of genres were not yet made available until the modern period. It is the only period that readers could get a true understanding of what life felt like, not simply how it appeared. Writer’s from this time have influenced and changed the way people think, write and live. From the honesty and purity of war poets to the magical, energetic works of literary pieces capturing the glowing times of the roaring 20’s. These are times that should not only be known, but should be felt, felt though the beautiful art that was created. The U.N specifically should care because it is during this time that they were created. The reactions of the people and change in emotion when knowing that the potential for the end of wars is ahead because of this new innovation should be remembered. It must be remembered for the hard times when the U.N questions their true mission and purpose, the reason for their creation. Their reason is written in Hemingway’s novel, as well as hundreds of others’. Why should this literary time period be saved?
It should be saved because it captures the times of war and hardship, the times of social evolution and technological changes.
It gives answers to questions regarding the emotional reaction of the people during the evolution of cars, radio, hockey, the African American movement, and women’s rights.
We are directly impacted by all the events that have occurred during the modern period. It is what formed Canada and thus is an enormous part of the past that if removed would leave pondering questions... ... It is the time in literary history that
introduced the relationship between
the conscious and unconscious mind.
Prior to this, what you see is what you
get; inward thinking, philosophical views
and mixes of genres were not yet made
available until the modern period. ... Writer’s from this time have influenced and changed the way people think, write and live. ... From the honesty and purity
of war poets to the magical,
energetic works of literary
pieces capturing the glowing
times of the roaring 20’s. These
are times that should not only
be known, but should be felt,
felt though the beautiful art
that was created. The U.N specifically should care because it is during this period that some of the greatest pieces were ever written and it was also during this period that the U.N was created (1945).
The reactions of the people and change in emotion when knowing that the potential for the end of wars is ahead because of this new innovation should be remembered. Not only does this novel give an idea for future generations of how it was to live a day in Dublin, it also gave a reflection of the past by referring to older literature, specifically The Odyssey by Homer.
The Odyssey is a legendary piece of literature and has very close ties with Joyce’s novel in regards to the sequence of events. This allows for Homer’s piece to be remembered far after it was written. Therefore, Ulysses contains decades of history and significance. 1914-1945 The modern literary time period should
be saved because it holds the memories of the most varied and change- filled era in history.