Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Subjects, Verbs, and Parallelism
Transcript of Subjects, Verbs, and Parallelism
Subject-Verb Agreement & Parallelism
Subjects & Verbs
The subject of a sentence is the main "who" or "what", the topic; it may be a
form of a verb acting as a
The verb in a sentence is the action or state of being done by the subject.
is a word that stands in for another noun (person/place/thing). Pronouns often take the place of a subject or object in a sentence.
Just as a battery needs a positive and a negative side, your subject-verb unit needs a +s and a -s.
In a good English sentence, words/phrases that do the same job need to match in form.
are used everyday.
My sister read
, and write
in three different languages.
Even clauses sometimes require parallel structure.
out the ingredients,
them all together, and my
4. One group of people were going to the party in my car.
3. Few students are reading ahead of class.
2. There is many ways to show someone you care.
1. My brother, sister and I am going on a roadtrip.
Which one is correct?
Greg wants that guitar, but it is very expensive.
Listening is an important skill.
Some instruments are easy to learn.
The space station is costing a lot of money, but it provides essential data.
Comparing with Parallel Structure
Parallel structure is needed in comparisons using
It is better to give than to receive.
His intelligence was as important as his working hard.
Academic Learning Center
(Writing Lab & ESOL Tutoring)
Library, West Wing
Still have questions?
Singular + Plural
Even with irregular verbs, the singular form usually ends with an
, and the plural form does not.
some papers on the desk.
it look like rain?
: Collective nouns are always singular.
(homework, help, food)
Where it matters most...