Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Ten Faces of Innovation
Transcript of The Ten Faces of Innovation
design by Dóri Sirály for Prezi
- The Devil's Advocate
- The Innovation Persona's
(Learning, Organizing, Building)
- The Ten Faces of Innovation
- "Innovation is now recognized as the single most important ingredient in any modern economy", by The Economist, a British Publication
- "Innovators Focus on the Verb", said Tom Kelley
- Ideas. Action. Implementation. Gain. Profit.
"People creating value through the implementation of new
ideas", by Innovation Network's definition
- Learning by process of enlightened trial and error
- Prototypes everything!
- Passion for hard work, curious mind, and openness
- Tireless problem solver, optimism, preserverance
- Demonstrates knack for overcoming road blocks
- Overcoming the pressure to "Just do your Job"
- Seeing Beyond your initial failures
- Effective roles but true value through translating
these roles into strategies and actions.
- Nurture and develop the personas in
- Provides organizing principles around the
process of design
- A single lens into the "people" resource and
solely in developing the innovative "culture
By Tom Kelley
with Jonathan Littman
IDEO's strategies for beating the devil's advocate & driving creativity throughout your organization
The Devil's Advocate
- Drowns new initiative in negativity
- Idea wrecker
- Sees only the problems, the downside, the
The Learning Personas
- The Anthropologists
- The Experimenter
- The Cross-Pollinator
The Organizing Personas
- The Hurdler
- The Collaborator
- The Director
The Building Personas
- The Experienced Architect
- The Set Designer
- The Care Giver
"The Devil's Advocate may never go away, but on a good day, the ten personas can keep him in his place. Or tell him to go to hell." said Tom Kelley
Gather new sources of information to expand their knowledge and grow
Even the best ideas must continuously compete for time, attention, and resources
Apply insights from the learning roles and channel the empowerment from the organizing roles to make innovation happen.
- Ventures into the field to observe human behavior to bring learning to the innovation process
- Vuja De- see the common for the first time
- "Bug List" and "Idea Wallet"
- Maintain a spirit of
" I have not failed. I merely found ten thousand ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison
- Draws associations and connections between seemingly unrelated ideas or concepts to break new ground.
- Pie Tins ---> Frisbee
"Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so, you will be certain to find something that you have never seen before." -Alexander Graham Bell
- Fosters teamwork to support innovation
- Coach vs. Boss
- The shared journey
- Assembles talents within the organization to
spark new outcomes
- Big picture thinking
- Target opportunities, shoot for the moon
"I dream for a living" -Steven Spielberg
The Experienced Architect
The Set Designer
- Stop being ordinary, be extraordinary
- Designing experiences beyond functionality
to connect at a deeper level
"The "value added" for most any company, tiny or enormous, comes from the Quality of Experience provided." - Tom Peters
- Creates the stage and sets of environment to
promote an innovative, energetic culture
- Anticipates customers needs and goes beyond
- Creates relationships
"Think one customer at a time and take care of each on the best way you can."
- Gary Comer, Founder of Lands' End
"The universe if made of stories, not of atoms."
- Muriel Rukeyser
- Build internal morale and external awareness through
- Spark emotion and action