Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Dying and Dead Verbs
Transcript of Dying and Dead Verbs
What in the world are they?
A dead verb is a verb that we use too much.
Why don't we want to use dead verbs?
When we use dead verbs, we are telling the reader what is happening instead of using words that show the reader.
It is like painting a picture with white paint... YOU CAN'T see anything.
I was happy.
What should my sentence look like instead?
Instead of using dead verbs, we should use verbs that really make the reader see what is happening really well.
I was happy.
My face glowed with joy and my smile spread from ear to ear.
Now you get how happy I am and you can see it.
Is it okay to still use dead verbs?
It is okay to use dead verbs sometimes.
A good rule is to use no more than 10 per story or essay.
Sometimes we cannot get around using them but there are many times we can! The trick is to not be lazy writers
Write what is in red!