Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Nuclear Arms Race
Transcript of The Nuclear Arms Race
Lots of money used to create weapons
- With the end of the Cold War the United States, and especially Russia, cut down on nuclear weapons spending.
- After the war the moeny spent on weapons was now spent on repairing the environmental damage caused by them.
Deterrence and MAD
Murphy, Derrik. The Cold War (1945-1991). London, United Kingdom: Harper Collins Educational, 2003. 18. Print.
"The Nuclear Arms Race." History Learning Site. 2000. Web. 04 May 2010. http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/nuclear_arms_race.htm
"Nuclear Arms Race." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. 30 Apr. 2010. Web. 04 May 2010. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_arms_race>.
Taylor, David. 20th Century Perspectives: The Cold War. Chicago : Reed Educational and Professional Publishing, 2001. 14-16. Print.
Walsh, Ben. GCSE Modern World History Second Edition. London: Hodder Murray, 1996. Print.
Effect on civilians The US and the USSR were secretive about the advances in their nuclear weapons
1950: (without permission from P. Truman) US Strategic Air Command violated soviet airspace
1956: President Eisenhower allowed U-2 flights
U-2: flew too high to be shot down
Sophisticated listening devices + cameras
May 1960- soviet missiles improved and a U-2 was shot down
USSR accused US of spying
Caused a dramatic down-turn in US/USSR relations
-Made for Soviet newspaper in 1960
-Portrays relations 1960s CCCP- SSR - "Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik"- USSR Détente: easing of tension between nations
>> Cause: Arms race caused economic problems in
USA and USSR (this period was known as détente)
>> Effect: Reduce spending on weapons system
Terms of the Partial Test Ban Treaty (PTBT)
Reduce / limit size of state arsenals (stored weapons)
No nuclear testing / missile systems
**This treaty was built to slow down the arms race
After Civil War- tension between USSR and USA
US dropped first atomic bomb
1.Relations between the West and East Worsened
2.USSR felt insecure, as it did not have atomic bomb
3.Now the US and its allies worried
4.An arms race begun.