Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Renaissance
Renaissance Art Slide Show
Middle Age Art
Leonardo da Vinci
Leonardo Da Vinci Exploration
Life of Leonardo
Mind of the Master
Treatise on Nature
Of the Waters
On Light and Color
The Nature of Water
Elements in Balance
Sun, Moon and Earth
Da Vinci Gallery
Defend this statement.
The Renaissance never ended. Even today the ideals of the renaissance are still being practiced in our world.
In what way are you a Renaissance person?
Please list three characteristics of Humanist thought. What did they believe?
Who is your favorite Renaissance person and why?
Authors of The Renaissance
Francesco Petrarch (1304-1374)
“The Father of Humanism”
Criticism of Ignorance
Leonardo Bruni (1374-1444)
“Study of Greek Literature and a Humanist Educational Program”
According to Petrarch , what was the great fault of the scholars of his age?
What made Petrarch aware that a renaissance, or rebirth of classical learning was necessary in his time?
Why did Leonardo Bruni abandon his earlier course of studies to pursue the study of Greek literature?
Why did Bruni insist on the importance of studying Latin grammar and imitating the best models of Latin style?
Why did Bruni consider the study of history of crucial importance?
Why did Bruni recommend the study of ancient classical oratory?
What benefit did Bruni see in the study of the ancient poets?
From Bruni’s viewpoint, what two things were needed to acquire a good education?
Giovanni Pico della Mirandola (1463-1494)
“Oration on the Dignity of Man”
1. According to Mirandola, what quality did human beings alone possess? What did
its possession allow them to do?
2. How does Pico’s oration on human dignity exemplify the emergence of the new
psychological outlook of the Renaissance?
Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
1. In what respect did Machiavelli claim to be breaking new ground in his study of statecraft?
2. What was Machiavelli’s view of human nature?
3. In what ways was Machiavelli’s advice to princes a break with the teachings of
medieval political and moral philosophers?
4. Compare Machiavelli’s view of the political man with the picture of human
beings outlined by Pico and Bruni in the earlier reading.
5. What ethical standard did Machiavelli seem to endorse for politicians who wish
World History: Connections to Today Name ______________
Chapter 14 pages 334-341- The Renaissance in Italy
Assessment Identify (5 W’s)
Lorenzo de’ Medici-
Leonardo Da Vinci-
What conditions in Italy contributed to the emergence of the Renaissance?
Identify the concerns and attitudes emphasized during the Renaissance?
How did Renaissance art reflect humanist concerns?
In what way might you consider yourself a Renaissance person?
Critical Thinking and Writing
Making Inferences: Why might powerful rulers and wealthy business people choose to become patrons of the arts during the Renaissance?
Linking Past and Present: In The Prince, Machiavelli advised rulers that it “is much safer to be feared than loved.” (a) What did he mean by that? (b) Do you think a political leader today would be wise to follow that advice? Why or why not?
Middle Ages to Renaissance
asy to find brief videos for all artists of this period. See the Richard Bangs Ren. videos
art and music
Secrets of Leonardo
Paintings with titles
History Channel: Life of...
Agony and Ecstasy Proloque
A & E or History Channel Biography
Draw these cartoons!
Bizarre da Vinci sketches
Tomb of Giuliano de' Medeci
Tomb of Lorenzo de' Medeci
Tomb of Julius II
He who knows he does not know is the wisest man of all.
Life of Leonardo
Renaissance = Rebirth
Rebirth of what?
Middle Age vs. Renaissance Art
Renaissance Man = person with wide range of interests
How are YOU a Renaissance Person?
Renaissance did not take place at the same time everywhere in Europe.
Begins in Italy around 1300 A.D.
New approaches to Art, Writing and Thought would spread through Europe
Renaissance begins in Northern Italy
Why were these cities centers of new thought and art?
Who were the primary patrons during the Renaissance?
Characteristics if The Renaissance
1) Importance of the individual (humanism):
2) Love of Classical Learning:
3) Enjoyment of worldly pleasures:
4) Study of the Liberal Arts
April 15 1452-May 2 1519
March 6 1475-February 18, 1564
Madonna of the Meadow
Battle of the Centaurs
Madonna of the Stairs
Michelangelo Works in 5 Minutes
Printing press-1450 ish
Impact on lives of the people then and now
Renaissance Short Answer
1) Would you rather be a patron or an artist?
Why do you make this choice? (Benefits and Value)
2) In what ways did the printing press change society?
Elaborate in at least 5 sentences.
Due Monday January 29, 2017
Chapter 17 -1300-1600
European Renaissance and Reformation
Read: Read 468-487
Answer: Questions 1-8 on both 477 & 485
Students will understand the influence of revolution and social change in the transition from Early Modern to Contemporary societies.
Assess the importance of intellectual and cultural change on Early Modern society.
* Examine the key events, ideas, and people of the Renaissance.
Due in two classes:
1 page on any artist we have talked about
-When and where did they live
-Stories from their life
-How was the art they made Humanistic
1 artistic piece of work recreating a masterpiece
School 0f Athens sheet
1) Identify Figures
2) Modern Day Great Minds
Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissanc (2/4)
Over the long weekend:
1) Identify people on back of
2) Study for test
3) Who is your favorite Renaissance person? What do
you like about them?