Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
ePortfolios: Characteristics, Benefits & Considerations
Transcript of ePortfolios: Characteristics, Benefits & Considerations
What is an ePortfolio?
1. Personal Information (name, contact, major, graduation date, etc)
3. Table of Contents
4. Learner Goals
5. Curricular Standards and criteria - used to align portfolio contents to institutional, departmental, course curriculum (accomplished by rubrics)
7. Guidelines for artifact collection
8. Artifacts - examples of learning outcomes
9. Feedback forum (instructor, etc)
10. Self-reflection pieces - gain from the rich learning experience that ePortfolio development can provide
Storage/Access - obvious benefits of space saving. Internet accessibility lends itself to updating with minimal effort as well as creating multiple links throughout the digital documents.
Multimedia - Sound, images, graphics, video, etc added to the ePortfolio, adding texture and personal connections and documenting evidence of learning
Creating and editing of digital documents helps improve digital skills
Considerations when selecting an ePortfolio tool
1. Availability of all three types of portfolios, and
capability of hybridization
Multiple portfolios per user allowed?
- can it be shared by element, or must it be in its entirety?
for showcase purposes
- private or public?
Security & Backup
tablet and iPad
- Does control remain with information owner?
not tied to employment or school account
Ability to customize
and add personal flavor - custom tabs & nomenclature?
Design - level of HTML required, or WYSIWYG design mode formatting?
simplicity and capability - Support all
(documents, spreadsheets, slides, videos & audio)
- annual, multi-annual, etc?
7. Ability to collect signature assignments and capstone projects
and forms for scoring artifacts
9. Ability to gather candidate
performance data by standard or learning outcome
10. Ability to
by transition point or program gateway
-performance data by demographics and reporting by institutional learning outcomes, state standards, or national accreditation stds.
Ability to perform
of the same work
availability: i.e. Are field placement modules necessary to document information about clinical placements, including site demographics, university supervisors, etc ?
a record of things done over a period of time, should be tied directly to learner outcomes and rubrics
personal reflections on the content; analyzing experiences, developing critical thinking skills, celebrating successes and learning from not so successful outcomes
demonstrated proficiencies, achievements in relation to particular work and developmental goals (selective)
Which format do you need?
probably a hybrid
Helen Barrett (expert in the field of ePortfolios -
"...a portfolio without standards, goals, and reflections is just a fancy resume..."
21st Century Skill Benefits
To see more research and information, visit resources at:
The Association for Authentic, Experiential, and Evidence-Based Learning http://www.aaeebl.org/eportfolio_resouces
In your research you will see some thoughts about the merging of LMS and ePortfolio technologies. I recently read the following:
"The LMS may begin to morph into an ePortfolio architecture, supporting longitudinal learning and decoupling from the course-based design they’ve had since the early CMS."
However, ePortfolios are inherently owned by the user and LMS is owned by the institution... But, perhaps the future holds more integration and cooperative structures.
It is a HOT topic and there are lots of great discussions happening