Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Figurative Language
- Meow refers to cats. -The crUmpling thUnder of seas. An alliteration repeats the letter and first syllabal of a word throughout the entire sentence. Alliteration A pun, also called paronomasia, sometimes correct, but mostly used with humor word play. Pun Examples: -Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. -How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? Parallelism Examples: -I love sign language, it's quite handy.
-riding an escalator is always a step up from staying on the same level. Example: - "Fred rode the elevator Josh rode the elevator, Tim rode the elavator" converts to "Fred, Josh, and Tim all rode the elevator." Repeating a statement, phrase, ect. Repetition - "Ethan got hit by a bus, Gavin got hit by a bus, Gabreal got hit by a bus" converts to "Ethan, Gavin and Gabrial all got hit by a bus." Apostrophe Examples:
-Cantalope Cantalope Cantalope -Watermelon Watermelon Watermelon -That solitUde which sUits abstrUser mUsings. An exagerated statement not meant to be taken as a litteral statement. Hyperbole Examples: Example: - I'm so hungry I could eat a horse. - twinkle twinkle little star, how i wonder what you are.
- as the day sun cooked me. -She's as big as a house. A commonly understood subject or emotional association that some word or phrase carries, in addition to the words meaning. Connotation To indirectly refer to something, or imply something. Allusion Examples: Example: -home would be called "a place of warmth and comfort" It has rained so long, it seems as though it has rained for 40 days and nights I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father, Jor-el, to save the Planet Earth. A way of comparing two things WITHOUT using the words like or as. a way of talking about something non-existing or not present as if it was present. Similarity in two or more words, or phrases combined together.