Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
A critical review of the potential for the implementation of Lean in the Nigerian Building Industry
Transcript of A critical review of the potential for the implementation of Lean in the Nigerian Building Industry
Jamal Khatib WABER 2012 The main idea behind Lean Construction is to maximize client value while minimizing waste The five lean principles are:
1. Specify value
2. Identify the value stream
3. Making the value process flow.
4. Pull from customer
5. Continuous improvement WHO IS A CLIENT? - Private sector clients
- Public sector clients Corporations,
State public and Local public parastatals that engage in construction projects Public sector Individual (domestic & commercial),
cooperate commercial & industrial) and
corporate developer Private sector The level of client awareness is very low even though projects experience:
delays in completion
cost and time overruns
poor quality etc.
however, LC uses its tools to improve project planning and control workflow within projects. Lean construction has been criticized on being:
promoted from a one sided positive view.
human exploitation of workers
Harsh working conditions
Lean champions argue that:
Most of the human exploitation and harsh conditions were applied when it was applied in manufacturing, however they are not in construction.
LC should not be used as a fire fighting technique instead used fire prevention
LC requires a lot of collaboration and thoughtfulness involving the whole system. BARRIERS TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF LEAN CONSTRUCTION IN NIGERIA
These barriers include:
Inadequate executive sponsorship
To overcome these barriers:
A clear case for Lean has to be developed and people should be adequately trained and involved within the implementation process.
The financial benefits of implementing Lean tools should be clearly stated to the executive.
Reasonable time scales and limits should be set for the improvement period. LC tools can be implemented within
the life cycle of any project:
- project definition
- lean design
- lean supply
- lean assembly USING DESIGN SCIENCE TO EXPLORE THE POTENTIAL OF IMPROVING PROJECT PLANNING IN NIGERIA USING LEAN CONSTRUCTION TOOLS