Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Naomi Shihab Nye: ''My Father and The Fig Tree"
Transcript of Naomi Shihab Nye: ''My Father and The Fig Tree"
Alicea and Savana "My Father and the Fig Tree" Her Style Her Style An Example Thank you More... More Explanation... More... Symbolism Early Years Present Day Nye Midyears Naomi Nye -Born in St. Louis on March 12,1952.
-Her father was Palestinian and her mother an American
- During her high school years, she lived in Palestine, Jerusalem, and Texas.
- Nye later received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University. - Nye received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University.
-Naomi married Husband Michael Nye.
-Naomi and Michael had son named Madison. -Nye has written many poems and short stories.
-Nye lives in San Antonio with her husband and
son. -"Years passed"
i. This summarizes the main event: their family relocating -The mother's criticism shows us her point being that
you don't receive gifts from heaven by being a dreamer...
it takes hard work -The idea: Don't be so sure of the universe and
how it works. Don't determine what/when it
rewards. The universe is large, and strange. Sometimes the random windows of chance shake
out in your favor. - Free verse
- Writes about own life experiences background -The fig tree is a metaphor
-Fig tree symbolizes the father's relationship with his country
-"See those? I wish they were figs....I'm talking about a fig straight from the earth-- gift of Allah!--"
i. For him, the fig tree symbolizes the spontaneous generosity of the universe -"Plant one!"
i. planting a fig tree, watering, weeding... that's
not what he wanted. He wanted the tree as a
pure gift of the universe - "You can't always get what you want" -When they moved to Dallas, OH WOW! There's a fig tree in their new backyard!