Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Symbolism in Lord of the flies
Transcript of Symbolism in Lord of the flies
- "He began to dance and his laughter became a bloodthirsty snarling" (Golding) Symbol of Savagery Examples/Quotations Symbolic value : Association to the characters/use Jack = - his idea
- uses the paint on his face to hide they're true identity p.110 "Conch! Conch!" shouted Jack, "we don't need the conch anymore. We know who ought to say things .(Golding) which is why they are on the island in the first place Raulph = tool for starting the fire Knowlege Understanding What is Symbolism? A symbol is something concrete which represents an abstract idea. (Shmoop editorial team) (Shmoop editorial team) But what does that mean? (Shmoop editorial team) (Lorcher) the breaking of the lens clearly symbolizes the boys losing sight of what they need to do. (Lorcher) The boys on the island = - uses the conch to call all boys for meetings
- Rule of the conch: boy who is holding the conch can speak others cannot - Boys start to become savage
- Rule of the conch is ignored
- conch looses its value of civilization
- savagery grows (Lorcher) (lorcher) - Allows Ralph to keep order on the island and discuss priorities = civilization (cc) photo by medhead on Flickr The conch savagery (cc) photo by medhead on Flickr The conch Savagery Savagery The conch (cc) photo by medhead on Flickr Piggy = - has alot of respect for the conch - uses the conch for his right of speech
- also for protection The Fire Symbolism Quotes/examples Characters associated (lorcher) (lorcher) Samneric = discover the dead parachutist Symbolic value : RED: represents determination and power Black: represents Death, evil and darkness Green: represents peace of nature association / use Jack : uses colours to create hunting mask Colours = changing symbols the representation of the colours varies form item to item throughout the novel -the painted faces = first symbol of savagery
= triggered the savagery into jack = becomes a habit of the hunters
(savagery grows) = boys follow jack's idea = allows the hunters to kill without showing they're true identity (marie) (marie) (marie) (golding) - encourages him to kill without guilt Boys on the island = believe he is the beast on the island red : - fire - painted faces - blood black: - darkness on the island
- death Green : - nature (''color meaning'') (''color meaning'') The Beast Symbolism The Lord of the Flies Offering to the beast Evil, silent, something is off-putting Confirms that they are the beast Different
perspectives The Lord of the Flies Jack and the savages Simon Ralph Symbolism of the Lord of the Flies Characters associated Quotations from the book The island Symbolism Characters associated Quotes of the island The scar Ralph's Hair Paradoxically,Rescue & Destruction
Connection to civilization (cc) image by nuonsolarteam on Flickr "The Fire is the most important thing on the island. How can we be rescued except by luck, if we don't keep a fire going?"
-Ralph (Golding, ch.5) Beginning = fear of the unknown Further on = the evil of man (no physical beast) (shmoop) Characters associated Simon: First to realize that the beast was themselves
Piggy: Backs Simon up during assembly, ch. 5.
Littluns: Scared, worried, making things worse
Jack: offers pig head to the beast. Quotes from book "Maybe there is no beast... Maybe it's just us."
-Piggy (Golding, ch.5) Paradise, garden of Eden Before the boys came Destruction of mankind After the boys crashed "The candle-buds opened their wide white flowers... Their scent spilled out into the air and took possession of the island." (Golding, ch.3) Symbolizes the beasts danger and power (homework online) Simon: During Simon's trance, tells him that the beast is actually in side the boys
Ralph: Seems evil... angry = destroys it = savagery
Jack: Offers the head to the beast. Evil of man "You knew, didn't you? I'm part of you? Close, Close, Close! I'm the reason why it's no go? Why things are what they are?"
-The Lord of the Flies to Simon (Golding, ch.8) "[...] while the skull lay in two pieces, it's grin
now six feet across" (Golding, 206) "Out there, perhaps a mile away, the white surf flinked on a coral reef, and beyond that the open sea was dark blue. Within the irregular arc of coral the lagoon was still as a mountain lake" (Golding) Society on a smaller scale (Heil) (Lorcher) (Lorcher) Symbolism Short, clean hair = Civilized Long hair = Uncivilized, savage Character's associated Ralph: in his face, wants to cut it, feels dirty and uncivilized. (Shmoop) (Shmoop) (Shmoop) Quotes from Lord of the Flies " "The boy with the fair hair lowered himself down [...]" (Golding, 1) "[...]Ralph discovered dirt and decay, understood
how much he disliked perpetually flicking the tangled
hair out his eyes..." (Golding, Ch.5) p.31 '' That's what this shell's called. I'll give the conch to the next person to speak. He can hold it when he's speaking.'' (Golding) p.40 ''His specs - use them as burning glasses!'' p.186 ''He was a Chief now in truth; and he made stabbing motions with his spear. From his left hand dangled piggy's glasses.'' Symbolism "[...]symbolizes the damaging encroachment of humans in paradise" invasion, intrusion (Lorcher) Characters association Everyone: becomes a normal part of the island for the boys Quotes "The long scar smashed into the jungle was a bath of heat" (Golding, 1) (Shmoop) (shmoop) (Lorcher) (Lorcher) Fight between mankind's good side and evil side (Heil) (Heil) The civilized side
The savage side
The littluns "His voice rose under the black smoke before the burning wreckage of the island" (Golding, 224) "You got your small fire alright."
-Piggy (Golding, 44) Ralph: His idea to start a fire. Enforces it Piggy: Enforces that they need to keep a fire. Use his specs to start fire. Hunters: Beggining = Keep the fire going Later = hunting is more important = fire less important "Fancy thinking the Beast was something you
could hunt and kill! You knew, didn’t you?
I’m part of you?" -Lord of the Flies (Golding, ch.8) (Beard) (Benn) (Breakfast) (Burns ssdvdvsdv hh (Burns) (En2kn) (Frost) (Graysky813) (Wa (Wateridge) ("Ralph") (Sam) Symbolism: something that has a hidden meaning... or to represent a different idea. p.200 " The rock struck Piggy a glancing blow from chin to knee; the conch exploded into a thousand white fragments and ceased to exist.'' (Golding) p.178 - '' The chief's blush was hidden by the white and red clay. Into his uncertain silence the tribe spilled their murmur once more. '' (Golding) p.190 '' He'll be painted, ' said Sam, timidly. 'You know how he'll be-'' (Golding) p.125 ''Kill the pig! Cut his throat! Kill the pig! Bash him in!'' (Golding) L.O.T.F scene Colours = changing symbol? the colours = not a changing symbol
Represent a different symbolic meaning form one thing to another (''color meaning'') p.103 `` There was a speck above the island, a figure dropping swiftly beneath a parachute, a figure that hung with dangling limbs.`` (''color meaning'') Man becomes evil and savage when circumstances are difficult Man is dead Beast is alive Simon visits the parachutist Discovers
2 things Simon (Lorcher) (marie)