Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of White Privilege
White Racial Privilege
Skin color privilege conditions
Unpacking the Knapsack
The Daily Effects of White Privilege
Higher Education Creates
I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.
I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
"Researchers said white students are disproportionately concentrated at elite, well-funded colleges."
-Allie Bidwell, Education Staff Writer for U.S. News & World Report
"White privilege sounds like..."
-Anonymous Caucasian Professor
University of Texas
Sunday, March 9, 2014
Vol XCIII, No. 311
Exactly what is White Privilege?
"White privilege is the unearned benefits that
people enjoy in society as a result of being White."
-Mikhail Lyubansky, Ph.D.
“White Privilege is the other side of racism."
“Privilege exists when one group has something of value that is denied to others simply because of the groups they belong to, rather than because of anything they’ve done or failed to do."
"An exemption in many particular cases from certain burdens or liabilities for White people."
White Privilege News
A Simple Way to Explain
How do you get people to understand white privilege?
How do we become advocates for awareness?
How do we become advocates for change?
1. Start by appealing to the ways in which others don't have privilege
2. Stress that privilege is relative
3. A system of privilege & oppression hurts us ALL
4. Privilege does not have to mean GUILT!
5. Offer concrete ways that others can undermine the system of privilege and oppression in their own lives
6. Make it a conversation of ACTIONS, not CHARACTER
-from Peggy McIntosh's
Unpacking the Invisible Backpack