Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Conserving the Orchids of Panama
Transcript of Conserving the Orchids of Panama
2. Charge entrance fees to park consistently
3. Punish violations of poaching in protected area consistently
6. Find an alternative source of orchids so demand for looted orchids is diminished and a positive alternative exists for orchid collectors. In Vitro Cultivation The process of growing orchid seedlings without the aided nutrients of natural fungi, and instead, supporting plant growth in a sterile environment fed on a jelly like nutrient medium. What are the benefits of having an in vitro cultivation laboratory? 1. APROVACA would be able to grow all species of orchids they have seed pods of.
2. APROVACA would have the legal right to sell native and non-native orchids to support daily operations possibly to pay for protected area patrols, monitoring, and further education in the area.
3. To reduce the cost of obtaining orchids for the ornamental garden and reintroduction program.
4. Eliminate APROVACA's dependence on looters and unsustainable practices, while giving orchid collectors a sustainable alternative source. Building the laboratory Affordable for even small scale cultivation Making the nutrition culture Easy to teach to new volunteers.
There now are easy to follow instructions in spanish and English. Works Cited 14 years Funded by the Japanese government Propagate native orchids on site
Replace the native species of orchids that are rapidly disappearing from the protected area Orchids rely directly on healthy tropical forests Honors Undergraduate Thesis
Hannah Lindstadt Conservation Issues and Strategies
for Tropical Orchids b. Orchid collecting by humans compounds the problems of natural scarcity. 5. Natural and human caused scarcity of orchids a. Orchids naturally reproduce slowly and depend on a delicate symbiotic relationship between specific type of fungi to germinate under natural conditions. The project is not finished True measure of success Reduced cost of obtaining orchids
Provide a stable source of orchids for the reintroduction program and sale. Continues to lose 1% of remaining forest cover every year