Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Commonly Misused Words
Transcript of Commonly Misused Words
There, Their & They're
In or at that place
Belonging to them
(= They are)
Further: at a greater distance (figuratively)
"Do not push me further on that issue!"
Farther: at a greater distance (physically)
"Can we go a little farther? I'm sure the Burger King is on the next block."
Emigrate vs. Immigrate
Immigrate: to come from another country and settle
"I immigrated to Canada in 2008."
Emigrate: to leave one's own country and settle in another.
"His parents emigrated from Syria, due to violence in the country."
Accept vs. Except
Accept: to take or receive; to agree
"I'm accepting the Academy Award for Best Actress this evening."
Except: but; excluding
"I'll take all the toppings, except for anchovies."
Principle vs. Principal
Further vs. Farther
Than vs. Then
Affect vs. Effect