Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Changing Student's Attitude Toward Math
Transcript of Changing Student's Attitude Toward Math
Students View Math
Changing Student's Attitudes
Break off the present negative culture
around math in attitude, behavior, skills
and poor performance in K - 12 schools throughout Washington
Suggestion. . . . .
as a Sport!
1. Class Time =
2. Homework =
3. Conditioning =
Breakfast, Sleep, Exercise
4. Sport Skills/Tactics =
Study Skill Strategies
5. Tests =
6. Post-Game =
Identifying Types of Errors
1. Teach students
is a "mental sport
priorities and expectations align with math priorities
Success= effort, Commitment required, Stay positive
3. Teach students the
importance of physical and mental readiness
(Tired and hungry students don't grasp concepts)
4. Emphasize how math develops
valuable character qualites
1. Practice improves performance
2. Attention to detail is crucial.
3. Perseverance leads to breakthroughs
4. Procrastination increases anxiety
5. A positive attitude changes ones destiny
Eating protein increases alertness
2. Share with instructors, students, and parents the value of viewing
math as a sport
3. Statewide, to see students experience
breakthroughs in math performance
knowing that their brains can do math!
It's the Key that Unlocks the Future!
Many wonderful job opportunites
Students Need a New Perspective
How Does a Student Train ?
making excuses and
Will Perform Better
When They View Math as a Mental Sport
Student's will discover their brains CAN DO MATH!
I have seen this miracle happen over and over again!
What used to seem
will now becomes
Students will begin to
Changing their perspective will change the outcome !
Selah School District
lead the way in Math success and model a transformation for Washington State and the country.
What about that!
Your brain can excell at math!
How to Be Successful in Sports
They really don't know what it takes to do well in math!
Math is a
Math is more like a SPORT than a subject.
Factors for Math SUCCESS
1. Not Missing Class
2. Positive Attitude
3. Using Graph Paper
4. Having a Test Strategy
5. Double Checking All Work
6. Being Patient /Persevering
7. Eating Protein/ 7-8 hrs. Sleep
8. Know Fast Facts
9. Evaluating Test Errors
10. Setting Goals to Succeed
11. Doing ALL Homework Problems
12. Celebrating Small Victories
1. They realize doing a sport takes
. . . so does math
2. They show up for class and
do ALL the homework
because doing well in a sport takes practice!
understand doing poorly
is a result of procrastination not because"I can't do math!"
eat breakfast and get sleep
because their brains
need protein to focus in class.
5. They stop their negative self-talk and
start believing in themselves.
and work hard to reach them
7. They stop cramming and and start
studying three days ahead for their tests.
Kathy Starr MFA
Yakima Valley Community College