Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of DIS-L10-2 -DLB
alpha-synuclein aggregation (Lewy bodies)
like Parkinson's disease (PD), Lewy body dementia (DLB) is a Alpha-synucleinopathy.
alpha synuclein is a synaptic protein involved in docking of synaptic vesicles (role not completely understood)
Lewy bodies are an aggregated form of alpha synuclein
(2) dementia with Lewy bodies
Fritz Heinrich Lewy 1885-1950 (circle)
spread of Lewy body pathology
cell-death and brain atrophy
first signs of Lewy bodies pathology are found in the olfactory system, dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus nerve in the hindbrain.
than the Lewy bodies appear in the pons (locus coeruleus, raphe nucleus)
before spreading to substantia nigra, thalamus and cerebral cortex.
post-mortem analysis of DLB-brains often reveals shrinkage of the midbrain and temporal, parietal and cingulate cortex.