Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Positive & Negative Effects of Antidepressants
Transcript of Positive & Negative Effects of Antidepressants
1. Extremely mentally addictive; one can start to not feel normal without the antidepressant or like they can not function without it
2. Depression is usually caused by social or situational factors which an antidepressant can not change
3. Can actually increase thoughts of suicide
4. Can decrease libido, cause weight gain, delay the onset of REM sleep, increase sleep awakenings,
5. Cause muscle spasms/tics
6. Body builds tolerance to antidepressant, therefore one must switch medicines and be forced to adjust to the new side effects
7. Pregnant women are advised to stop taking antidepressants, which causes an obvious problem
1. Allows one to be less reactive to difficult life events that would usually cause them stress.
2. Reduces one's negative obsessive thoughts and feelings.
3. Believed to have the power to reduce panic attacks and general worries
4. Gives people a motivational push in order to complete important needed tasks ( work, school, ect. )
Ferguson, J. (2011, February 12). SSRI Antidepressant Medications: Adverse Effects and Tolerability. . Retrieved June 25, 2014, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC181155/
Fishwick, Carmen. "Your experiences of antidepressants." theguardian.com. Guardian News and Media, 21 Nov. 2013. Web. 21 July 2014. <http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/21/your-experiences-antidepressants -responses>.
Kirsch, Irving. The emperor's new drugs: Exploding the antidepressant myth. New York, NY: Basic Books, 2010. Print.
Sharpe, Katherine. Coming of age on Zoloft: how antidepressants cheered us up, let us down, and changed who we are. New York: HarperPerennial, 2012.
Natural Remedies to Relieve Depressive Feelings
1. Herbs- St. Johns Wort and ginkgo biloba are known to reduce anxiety, relieve inflammation and tension, and improve sleep.
2. Supplements- 5HTP and cod liver oil are known to calm stress and raise serotonin levels
3. Sleeping more
4. Spend time outdoors
6. Set realistic goals for yourself
Why I chose this topic
I originally planned on doing my topic on the over medication of Adderall, then I was going to do it on the over medication of antidepressants. I did not find much information on the over medication of these drugs. I found more information on the over diagnose of ADD,ADHD and depression. I was not to interested in that so I chose to do it on the positive and negative effects of antidepressants.