Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Milky Way Galaxy
Transcript of Milky Way Galaxy
-The stars are bound together with gas and dust
-Held together with gravitational attraction What type of galaxy is the Milky Way? - A Spiral Galaxy
- This galaxy has a center, with arms of clustered stars
- These stars spiral out
- Gas clouds are also what makes galaxy have their color Size and what a light year is - The size of the Milky Way is somewhere around 150,000 light years long
- A light year is used to measure long distances
- A light year is 5,865,696,000,000 miles long When did the milky way form? - The Milky Way has been around a very long time
- Estimated around 13.2 to 14 billion years old
- We know this because we can scale the mass of a star and how much the mass goes down Whats at the center? - The Galactic Center is the name of the center
- It is in the direction of Sagittarius, Ophiuchus and Scorpius
- These constellations are where it appears brightest
- There is also a supermassive black hole in the center, a black hole is... What galaxy is nearest? - There is actually a galaxy inside the Milky Way called the Canis Major Dwarf
- Some other near galaxies include Triangulum Galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy Milky Way Galaxy Gas and stars Number of Stars - Astrophysicists can estimate the number of stars in the Milky Way
- They can do this because it is so close to the sun
- Using the the mass of the Galaxy they come up with the number of stars
- # of stars are around 100 billion How far away is it? -The Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy is about 25,000 light years away from the Milky Way
- However this is the distance to the center, it is realistically touching the Milky Way http://www.space.com/14249-milkyway-galaxy-photos.html Where in the Milky Way are we? -Earth is at the edge of the spiral arm called Orion Arm
- It is about 2/3 of the way from the center of the Milky Way How do we know what we know? - We know all this info on the Milky Way because...
- Astrophysicists take pictures and create a inferred diagram and analyze the pictures Orion Arm Before dinosaurs Bibliography http://www.astrodigital.org/astronomy/milkywaygalaxy.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center Current Event March 6, 2013- Has the Milky Way devoured other galaxies?
-People are starting to believe that the Milky Way is devouring other galaxies such as the Canis Major Dwarf galaxy
-They believe this because galaxies are going into the Milky Way and not coming out