Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Ancient India
Collection of sacred texts, including verses, hymns, prayers, and poems
•Brahmins (priests and religious scholars)
•Kshatriyas (rulers and warriors)
•Vaishyas (herders and merchants)
•Shudras (servants, farmers, and laborers)
Indus River Valley
Harappa & Mohenjo-Daro
By 1500 BCE - cities were abandoned
Nomadic, pastoral people migrated into India
Rig Veda 10.90: 11-12
When they divided the Man, into how many parts did they apportion him?What do they call his mouth, his two arms and thighs and feet?
His mouth became the Brahmin; his arms were made into the Kshatriya;
his thighs the Vaishyas; and from his feet the Shudras were born.
Lawbook of Manu
Let a Brahmana's name (denote something) auspicious, a Kshatriya's be connected with power, and a Vaisya's with wealth, but a Sudra's (express something) contemptible.
The Laws of Manu 2:31
What is it?
Conquest? Environmental disaster? Earthquake?