Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Literary Theory Presentation: Psychoanalytic and Jungian Criticism
Transcript of Literary Theory Presentation: Psychoanalytic and Jungian Criticism
1. The beautiful woman was behind the chosen door.
Literary Theory: Psychoanalytic and Jungian Criticism
The Lady and The Tiger
Analysis of story
4. What does the work suggest about the psychological being of its author?
By: Elisa Kazan, Natalie Dokmajian and Violette Roumie
ENG4U - Mrs. Divell
PSYCHOANALYTIC AND JUNGIAN CRITICISIM
Based on Freudian theories of psychology
Decoding the story
Find what the author never intended
The "ROOT" of all our problems start at our childhood
1. How do the operations of repression structure or inform the work?
founding father of psychoanalysis
attempted to treat behavioral disorders by listening to their problems
Behavior is affected by the unconscious
The Human Psyche
- impulsive instincts
- mediator between moral and realistic
- values and morals of society
Oedipus and Electra Complex
a desire for the parent of the opposite sex and a sense of rivalry with the parent of the same sex
Based off of the teachings of Carl Jung about the unconscious mind.
Explores the connection between literature and the “collective unconscious” of the human race,
The central character is the only one viewed as real.
Carl Jung is a Swiss born founder of analytic psychology.
Student of Freud.
His work focuses on myths and archetypes in relation to the unconscious mind.
According to Jung, the goal of all humans is to reach individuation.
Psychoanalytic Theory in Literature
of the text as a secret
for evidence of Oedipal conflicts
the text like a dream
a Freudian slip
Author of "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
Born on April 5, 1834 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
Died on April 20, 1902 in Washington D.C, USA.
Born in a family of nineteen kids.
A wood engraver and an editor for The Century Magazine.
Most of the writing was done in New Jersey.
His short story, "The Lady, or the Tiger?" was turned into a musical comedy.
Some other works include: The Griffin and the Minor Canon, A Bicycle of Cathay, Rudder Grange, Simply Suspense and several children’s books.
Frank Stockton was a very bitter man.
Radiated a dynamic and efficient energy.
Valued courage and effort.
Dressed professionally which is assumed to have given him confidence and power.
Stockton was known to write slowly and painfully.
The entire story is structured around the princess's decision.
Readers are given background information.
2. Are there any oedipal dynamics - or any other family dynamics - at work here?
Oedipal dynamics were displayed in the Short Story through the king, and the princess.
3. How can characters' behaviours, narrative events, and/or images be explained in terms of psychoanalytic concepts of any kind?
The door that led to the tiger
The door that led to the beautiful woman
Moral and Right
Mediate between the two
Life vs Death
Love vs Jealousy
• Central character: The princess
• Supporting character: The King
• Aspect represented: semi-barbaric, fervent, imperious and hot blooded.
Frank Stockton = bitter man
2. The hungry tiger was behind the door.