Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Bollywood India Presentation
Transcript of Bollywood India Presentation
Lauren, Carly, Keshar, Ian, Donald, Ben
History of Bollywood
- 1913 first silent film was made in Mumbai India
- The name Bollywood was inspired by Hollywood , since films were made in Bombay(Mumbai) they replaced the 'H' with a 'B'
- Around the 1930-40’s... India was fighting for their Independence from the British
- Great depression, Independence movement, and a violent patrician changed the course of films.
- Slowly started to changed from just musicals to films about society and social issues.
1940's through the 1960's
- Considered the Golden Age of films in India
- The most critically accalaimed Hindi films were produced at this time
- Shree 420 (1955)
- Pyaasa (1957)
- Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959)
- Asif's Mughal-e-Azam (1960)
Modern Day Bollywood Films
- Usually most Indian Films are Melodramatic...
-Meaning they usually exaggerate plots...
- Movies start becoming more westernized
- More Romantic movies
- The parallel movement, A specific movement in Indian cinema.
- Known for the serious content: realism or naturalism, and topics on the social-political movement
Start at 1:22
Song and Dance
- One of the most notible things about Bollywood movies is the singing and dancing.
- The songs in Bollywood movies are usually pre-recorded
- The actors will lip synch the words to the song while recording the scene
- Most songs almost always have backup dancers
- older movies primarily had classical/folk dancing
- In modern movies a blend of western pop and classical dancing
- Yet, there are exceptions. Some actors in Bollywood can't dance... and that's totally okay!
Song and Dance
- Around 2000s Bollywood began influencing musical films in the West.
- Moulin Rouge was directly inspired by Bollywood musicals
- A.R. Rahman, Indian film composer wrote music for Andrew Lloyd Webber and Composed Jai Ho, Slum Dog Millionaire
- Bollywood movies are one of the largest influences on Indian fasion.
- Within these films you can find eclectic pieces or very traditional clothing.
- Bollywood Cinema is known for their extravagant articles of clothing.
- Sparkly sarees
- Very glamorous
- Bright colors
Sets and Decoration
- Beautiful and elaborate floor sets
- A lot of elaborate decorations
- Brightly colored
- Historical locations are often used
- Many scenes are shot outside of India.
- Mostly in Europe and the United States.
All together is looks like this!
•Sound is seldom recorded on location
•Dialogue and sound effects recorded in the studio
–Dialogue often does not match the mouth movements on film
•This trend is beginning to change
–in 2001, Lagaan became the first movie in 30 years to synchronize the sound
–Several other films have as well in the years that followed