Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Galileo
By: Hayden Leever
Galileo was born in Pisa in 1564. As he grew up his father wanted him to study medicine, but he ended dropping that class while he was at the University of Pisa. He got a degree in Philosophy of Aristotle.
The Copernican Theory
1st Problem with the Church
With the newly invented telescope, he was able to see things close up like the moon. He found that there are moons orbiting around Jupiter, and that the Moon, and Venus have stages. The only way there can be stages is if the Copernican theory is correct and the sun is the center of the universe. As you see in the pictures you see that Jupiter’s moons are moving.
Why this was a problem
• This was against the church because they still believed that the earth is the center of the universe. They also believed that the bible supported their theory, but Galileo later proved that wrong too.
Galileo also researched the motion of freely falling bodies. He figured out that all objects fall at the same rate, regardless of their mass. Falling bodies depend on a force pulling down on it. (gravity) This only added to his discovery about the earths motion around the sun. This theory was perfected by newton after Galileo’s time.
1564 to 1642
The Copernican theory is based off the heliocentric theory.(the sun is the center of the universe) This was against the church because they believed that in the bible it said that earth is the center of the universe. This was later proved wrong by Galileo.