Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Theme and Big Idea
Transcript of Theme and Big Idea
Today you will be able to justify and defend a big idea and theme in a PTI
What do you think a Big Idea means in a literature?
Big Ideas are
abstract ideas or concepts that
in a text. We recognize the Big Idea through actions of characters and the plot of the novel.
Find the Big Idea
Do: Work with your partner to find examples to support the big idea of identity?
Predict/Infer a theme related to this big idea
Life lesson, meaning, moral, or the message about life or human nature that is communicated by a literary work.
is what the story teaches readers
is an extension of the big idea. It is
not a word
In your theme, you need to have the
the big idea
how it affects
the characters or the general events in
In Part-Time Indian, the author shows how substance abuse can suppress an entire culture
In The Avengers, the director shows how greed unleashes brutal consequences, and must be countered by the sacrifice of the "heroes".
are not explicit (clearly stated).
are not details, but the overall generalization the author is making over the whole text.
Do: Explain the difference between big idea and theme to your neighbor.
Find Evidence To Back Up Your Theme
In Part- Time Indian, the author shows, that hope is hard to come by.
3) "I think the world is a series of broken dams and floods, and my cartoons are tiny little lifeboats"(6).
i.e love, war, identity, friendship
In your small groups take on two big ideas from the board and identify and defend one theme related to each big ideas.