Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Quest, The Epic Hero, and Epic Poetry
Transcript of The Quest, The Epic Hero, and Epic Poetry
Complete Background Notes on the Following Terms
*Journey towards a goal.
*Plot device and symbol.
*Objects of quests require great exertion on the part of the hero.
*Hero must overcome many obstacles, including much travel.
*Quest typically features exotic locales.
The Epic Hero
*Participates in a cyclical journey or quest.
*Faces adversaries that try to defeat him in his journey and returns home significantly transformed by his journey. *Illustrates traits, performs deeds, and exemplifies certain morals that are valued by the society.
*More strength and bravery than everyone else in a tale.
10 Main Characteristics:
1.) Begins in medias res.
2. )The setting is vast, covering many nations, the world, or the universe.
3.) Begins with an invocation to a muse (epic invocation).
4.) Begins with a statement of the theme.
5.) Includes the use of epithets (glorified nicknames).
6.) Contains long lists, called an epic catalogue.
7.) Features long and formal speeches.
8.) Shows divine intervention on human affairs.
9.) Features heroes that embody the values of the civilization.
10.) Often features the tragic hero's descent into the Underworld or hell.