Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Civil War Anesthesia
Transcript of Civil War Anesthesia
-American military surgeons first used anesthetics during the Mexican-American War of 1846-48
-Doctors were very cautious; not practiced very often
-More of a risk than a benefit
-Need for surgery and amputation began increasing dramatically, and anesthesia became a saving grace for patients in both the North and
-Anesthesia was almost always, as a rule, used in surgery, in fact, there were 800,000 cases of it's use
-Over time, anesthesia became more succesful
-Mortality Rate: 4%
Anesthetics Gain Popularity -Two different kinds of anesthetic medicines: Ether and Chloroform
-Of the two, chloroform was usually the anesthetic of choice
-Chloroform was very in demand: extremely scarce in Confederate hospitals
-This scarcity was the mother of invention; an inverted funnel lined with cotton became an inhaler that concentrated the vapors, whereby less chloroform was used for each patient.
Invention of Inhaler 1. During which war was anesthesia first used?
a)French and Indian War
2. What was the anesthetic mortality rate?
3. Why was the inhaler invented? Method of Application Pouring the agent on linen
Holding it at some distance from the patient’s nose and mouth
Gradually moving it closer to the face until unconscious 1. d) Mexican American War
2. B) 4% THANKS FOR WATCHING!!!!!!!!!