Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Chemical reactions in cheesecake
Transcript of Chemical reactions in cheesecake
The History of Cheesecake
Browning in the graham cracker crust
Coagulation and Denaturing
Eggs and Sugar
Caramelization in Cheesecake
Denaturing: the process in which proteins change in structure due to some external stress such as heat
Coagulation: the process in which denatured proteins are altered by forming bonds between one another
1. The eggs proteins denature
2. The sugar wraps around the proteins
3. The eggs coagulate
Decomposition of Sucrose
Decomposition of Fructose and Glucose into Aroma Molecules
Oligomerization of Fructose and Glucose
decomposition of sucrose-sugar melted to liquid
browned and became sticky
• originated in Ancient Greece and Rome- they called it "libum"
• first written recipe is traced back to Marcus Porcius Cato
• a sweeter version was created in 230 A.D.
• the New York style cheesecake was created in 1929 by Arnold Reuben
Non-enzymatic browning reactions: is a chemical process that produces a brown color in foods without the activity of enzymes
Two major types of non-enzymatic browning
Maillard Browning: Chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugar
3 steps for browning
9 graham crackers
4 tbsp of melted butter
¼ cup of sugar
1. Roll crackers out with a rolling pin until smooth (crushed), then add sugar and butter and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
3 packages of Philadelphia cream cheese
1 cup of sugar
5 large whole eggs
2 tbsp of vanilla
2 tbsp of lemon juice
1. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture on top of the hot crust, then put back in the oven.
3. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minute.
1½ pints of sour cream
¾ cups of sugar
2 tbsp of vanilla
1. Beat all together until smooth and then pour on top of cheesecake.
2. Place back into oven at 350 for 8-10 minutes.