Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
CDTM - Entrepreneurship in the U.S.A.
Transcript of CDTM - Entrepreneurship in the U.S.A.
- Personal Introduction
What is similar?
What is different?
What can we learn and use?
- Technology and Adoption
- The Competitive Landscape
- Business Models
- International Aspects
- Mentality and Attitudes Why focus on this? - Understand the largest market in the world
- Do well when you go to the States
- See what may be coming... be early in Europe!
Many technologies and trends originate
in the States:
- Media (TV, Movies, Internet, Mobile)
- Business Models
- Social Media (Consumer and Enterprise)
- Underlying Technologies (iOS, Android,
Cross-Platform Tech., User Interface) - Parents: Indian; School: NYC, New Delhi, Bonn (Abitur)
- Diplom and Doctorate at the LMU (BWL with Computer Science)
Doktorvater: Prof. Dr. Arnold Picot (LMU, CDTM)
GERMANY (Bonn and Munich)
- Founded Innosoft GmbH, Munich, 1990
Grew to 50 Staff, 8+ Million DM Revenue in first 5 years
Cologne Office (1994), New York Office (1996)
Co-founded FJA AG (1997), IPO 2001, Market Cap: 480-800 M€
Now COR&FJA AG, 1000 Staff, 17 Offices Worldwide
USA (NYC and S.F. - 1999 to 2011)
- Startup: MP2 Capital, S.F., CA, 2007 (Commercial Solar Finance)
- Set up COR&FJA Denver Office as U.S. COO (2008-10),
65 Staff, 15+M US$ Annual Revenue
Back to Germany (August 2011)
- Founded Applaud GmbH, Munich, 2012
Crossplatform Mobile Enterprise (iOS, Android, Win, Mac)
- Professor for Media Management, MHMK, Munich, since WS 2011 Web-based Resources Technology Hype Cycle (USA, 2012) Competition and Cost in the USA - Competition is higher
especially in certain cities (NYC, S.F. Bay Area)
- As a result, risk is higher
- Some Markets: Fierce Asian competition
E.g. Software and Services, Infosys, Tata etc.
- Why is Cost higher?
- Scale vs. cash-flow, hence VC for Leaders
- Startups across the continent with
3+ time zones and 5+ hours of flying time
- When the competition has deep pockets
how do you keep up? Technology Adoption - Generalizations do not do justice
- Differences by Industry and Geography
- Bay Area vs. Mid-West or South
- Success of SAP across the U.S.
- Skype acquired by eBay and then Microsoft
at U.S. valuations
- German Automobiles See what is working in the U.S.:
- Successful Startups
- Follow Entrepreneurship at the Best
>>> Use today's on-line world. Prof. Dr. Alyosh Agarwal
firstname.lastname@example.org Similarities - Economy: Markets, Demand, Prices
- Society: Social, Cultural, Success, ...
- Business Framework
- Legal Framework - Corporations, Law
> U.S. Agencies are strict about foreign investment
- Some common Attitudes
> Motivation and Passion
> Hard Work
> Long Hours
(Notice: Communication style is not listed!)
>>> Sales, i.e. Business Development are crucial! Differences - Strategy and Approach
> Business Models, in particular Freemium
> Setting a Standard (Geoffrey Moore)
> Focus on own School and Community
> Shorter-term Focus
> Tech and Product Evangelism
> Marketing and Branding are more dominant
> More International? (Team, Markets)
- Financial Implications
> Raising Funds
> Valuation (!) - Even Beyond Extreme Cases
> Exit - More Accepted and Desired
- Personal Issues for the Entrepreneur
> "Me, Me, Me"
> Networking and Speaking Candidly accepted
> Long term or Serial Entrepreneur?
> Failure (How acceptable is it really?) Literature, Web-Resources and Video www.inc.com
http://techventures.stanford.edu/ (Prof. Tom Byers, Stanford)
Feel free to write or visit us (MHMK/ Applaud GmbH):
A.Agarwal@mhmk.org (0151) 45145731 Applaud GmbH, Munich in the Automotive Industry