Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Of Mice and Men Social and Historical Context
Transcript of Of Mice and Men Social and Historical Context
...What do we think the novella will be about?
Let's look at some book and film illustrations from
over the years to
get some ideas. Written by American author John Steinbeck in 1937.
'Of Mice and Men' is a novella. This means that it is longer than a short story but shorter than the average novel.
The novella is set in California, U.S.A. This photo is from a film adaptation of 'The Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It was first published in 1925 and is set in New York during the Roaring Twenties. 1920s America
'The Roaring Twenties' 1. Describe the faces of the people in the film.
2. Why do you think so many of them were queuing?
3. How are their lives different from those in the 'Roaring Twenties' clip? The Great Depression was a huge economic collapse - the worst in history. It started in 1929 and lasted until the early 1940s.
The 1930s were a BAD decade for America.
15 million Americans were unemployed.
Farmers started to produce more to try and keep money coming in, but this eroded the soil and turned large parts of East and Central America into what's called 'The Dust Bowl'. The Great Depression What are your own personal impressions of America?
Write down three statements. What were the ‘Roaring Twenties’ like?
Read the extract from 'The Great Gatsby'. Highlight key words and phrases in the extract that you feel capture the spirit and mood of 1920s America, for example:
"the bar is in full swing" Now compare this video with the next clip...... Hundreds of thousands of people packed up and headed to the warmer climate of California in the hope of finding better farming conditions and jobs.
'The American Dream' Despite these high hopes, however, very few found it to be the promised land of opportunity they had dreamed about.