Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
New Orleans L.A 5 Themes of Geography
Transcript of New Orleans L.A 5 Themes of Geography
Absolute: 29°57′53″N 90°4′14″W
Relative: Located in the Mississippi River Delta
New Orleans is well known for its distinctive history. New Orleans was founded in 1718. It's unique mix of race, ethnicity, and language is what has led to its Cajun heritage, dialect, cuisine, etc. Bars have no closing hour, food is spicy, music is pulsating almost everywhere. And they may also take note that the locals talk funny but some have southern accents. Its a good place to party, Specially Bourbon Street, which has no closing hour.
New Orleans Location
- Great risk of hurricanes, in fact, New Orleans is the nation's most vulnerable city to hurricanes.
- Climate is humid subtropical, with short, mild winters and hot, humid summers.
- New Orleans is located in the Mississippi River Delta on the east and west banks of the Mississippi River and south of Lake Pontchartrain.
It is approximately 105 miles (169 km) upriver from the Gulf of Mexico
- New Orleans is located immediately north and west of the Mississippi River
- World-famous for its abundance of unique architectural styles which reflect the city's historical roots and multicultural heritage
- The Mississippi River flows in the shape of a crescent around the city and that is why it is called the crescent city.
Human Characteristics: New Orleans is well known for its distinctive French-Creole architecture, its cross-cultural and multilingual heritage, cuisine, music (for being the birthplace of jazz), and its celebrations and festivals, specifically Mardi Gras. New Orleans is a wetland with places below sea level.
Mississippi River Crescent City Connection - Farthest downstream Bridge
New Orleans is located in the South, which is can be considered a perceptual or formal region.