Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Bicycle Thieves
- Convey sense of isolation for Protagonists in their search.
- Makes characters a part of landscape and more difficult to identify. People presented as a microcosm of society at large.
Interactions between characters and environment reflect socio-political and economic factors at the time.
The "city search" as a question of masculinity. Bruno has been the family's sole breadwinner while Antonio has been unemployed.
Antonio briefly loses sight of his family as he searches for the bike.
The bike represents Antonio's role as a provider for the family. The "follow shot":
- This technique devised by De Sica utilizes the characters' following of the camera rather than the camera following them. Lighting:
- To perpetuate this film's Neorealistic qualities, De Sica utilized only natural lighting outside, as well as inside.
ie.)- Scene that introduces Bruno as he inspects the bicycle, and states that there "isn't enough light" to properly evaluate its condition. He then opens a window, making the room much more distinct. The means of transportation reveal social class.
Class divisions are highlighted in the trattoria scene.
Alfredo, the thief, is of the same social class as Antonio. Antonio is forced to steal as well due to his conditions. Social Distinction of Social Class:
- The film intermittently establishes distinct dividing lines between the poor, the working class, and middle-upper class, that supplement this particular theme.
-The Trattoria scene, where Bruno broods at the snobby rich boy
- When Antonio and Bruno seek refuge from the rain, and the suited men complain about rain on their day off, and not wanting to dampen their white ties and coat tails. Bicycle Thieves, directed by Vittorio de Sica, is summarized by Millicent Marcus as "Man's bike stolen on first day back to work after two years' unemployment. Bike prerequisite to job." Neorealismo Amateur actors used instead of big names
On set for 6 months for the purpose of getting the scenes perfect.
Documentary style filming.
Plot is of a realistic problem with redefined proportions in relation to the context of the character's life.
Focus on working class.
Real weather. Fine