Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Grammar!!!!!
Def. A comma splice is when two independent clauses are hooked together by a comma.
It looks like ....
My dog loves to play with blue racket balls,
a majority of the dogs in america have a favorite toy.
with a period, fanboy, or semi colon.
Semi colon ( when related)
Fanboy (when two actions can be related)
Period ( when both phrases are irrelevant and can stand alone)
What Are Fragments????
Fragments are incomplete sentences. Usually, fragments are pieces of sentences that have become disconnected from the main clause.
What do they look like ???
1.• When dogs chew. [Fragment]
.Dogs in the backyard. [Fragment]
How do we fix them ?!
( a phrase that can not stand on its own as a sentence) into an
( a phrase of words that can stand alone )
WRONG: When Miley Cyrus performed.
With Awesome Alex !
Racing Richard's Hungry Review!
This is the game ...
We would like to know how much you have learned, so we will divide the class into two halves . This half will be your team.Each team will have a representative that will be the voice which ever group answers the most questions right will win the game and a SAH-WEET prize !
Comma Splices, Fused Sentences, Run on Sentences & other stuff......
• A Fused Sentence contains two main clauses illegally run together with no punctuation whatsoever. (chompchomp.com)
• A Fused or Run-on Sentence is in one respect similar to a Comma Splice.
• The Run-on differs from the comma splice in only one respect: it has no comma between the independent clauses. Therefore, the run-on is two independent clauses with nothing between them. (At a Glance Sentences by Lee Brendon: Fourth Edition)
Jerry used my toothbrush I threw the toothbrush out.
His behavior was outrageous I would have gladly used that toothbrush.
With Magic Mike !
With Amazing Amaya !
Both clauses are capable of standing alone to fix this simply seperate them .
Tell us what you know about all of these lovely words and phrases !
Independent & Dependent Clauses
With Lovely Ling ......
Which of the following sentences will correct this fragment?
I stepped on a Cornflake. Now cereal I is killer.
a. Cereal killer I am. Now I stepped on a Cornflake.
b. I stepped on a Cornflake. Now I am a cereal killer.
c. Cornflake I stepped on. Now I am a cereal killer.
Which of the following is the definition of a comma splice?
a. Two independent clauses that have been run together without an appropriate conjunction and/or mark of punctuation between them.
b. Two independent clauses separated by a comma instead of a period or a semicolon.
c. A syntactic construction in which a preposition is left without a following object.
Which of the following will correct this fused sentence?
I am a nobody nobody is perfect therefore I am perfect.
a. I am a nobody nobody is perfect. I am perfect.
b. I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect.
c. I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect therefore I am perfect.
Right : When Miley Cyrus performed at the VMAs , she surprised America with very colorful dance moves.
NO SHOUTING ANSWERS
YOU WILL GET WHIPPED