Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Age of Nationalism: Italy and Germany
Transcript of Age of Nationalism: Italy and Germany
Italy and Germany Europe 1848 Italy 1848 Italy 1859 - 1870 RISORGIMENTO
"The Resurgence" Giuseppe Mazzini
"The Soul of Italy"
Revolutionary Politian King Victorio Emmanuel II
Kingdom of Piedmont(Sardinia)
-furture King of United Italy Camillio di Cavour
-Count and Prime Minister of Piedmont Giuseppe Garibaldi
-Revolutionary Military Leader What does it mean to have a nationality?
What does it mean to you personally? The Key Players Italy Key Events - 1820-1821 Carbonari (Secret Society founded during French Occupation) Insurrections
- 1831 - Ciro Menotti - attempted revolt, was betrayed and executed
- Mazzini's Failed "Roman Republic" of 1849
- 1858-1859 Franco-Austrian- Sardinian War
Franco Sardinian Alliance gains Lombardi for the Piedmont
- 1860 - Garibaldi's Redshirts "The Expedition of the Thousand"
Victor Emmanuel's Invasion and the Fall of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
- 1861- the Kingdom of Italy is proclaimed existant to the World
-1866 (June to August)- Austro-Prussian(Italian) War
Gains Italy Venetia
-1870 - Italy fully unites when it annexes Rome and the Papal States Visuals The "Handshake at Teano" Political Cartoon Germany 1848-1871"Sprechen Sie Deutch"!? - Big Germany "Grossdeutsch" - LittleGermany "Kleindeutsch" - German States United under the Prussian dominated "Zollverein" (a customs"traiff" union)
- Prussia ruled by Z King, with a bicameral legislature
(More Taxes paid=more seats) Key Players King Villiam I of Prussia
-Military oriented ruler Count Otto von Bismarc
-Conservative Prime Minister
practiced "Realpolitik" Key Events - King Villiam I rebuilds the Military
- 1862 - Bismarc made Prime Minister, beings his progressive plan
1864 - The Danish War- Got Austrian alliance to gain Schleswig for Prussia and Holestein for Austria
1866 Austro-Prussian War
Gains Schleswig for Prussia and keeps Austria out of "German" affairs Phase 3
- Prussia annexes any German states that allied with Austria during the war, and signs military agreements with the Southern Catholic States
- Remodeled the Government
1) King Villiam I
2) "Chancellor" Bismarc
3) Parliment- "Bundesrat"- higher house and
the "Reighstag" - lower house Phase 5
- Revolt in Spain caused friction between France and Germany
- Bismarc hopes for war to unite the Germans against
a Foreign (Non German) enemy
- 1870-1871 Franco- Prussian War- Overall Prussian Victory The Prussian Needle Gun Visuals French Soldiers Germany Unified as the Second Empire (Reich) in the Former French Palace Versailles Hall of Mirrors Things to Consider What do Germany and Italy have in common at this point in History?
Extra Credit: What other country in the world established it's national identity around this time?
Based on the events discussed: What can we assume for Europe's future? More Visuals Carbonari Symbol Scene of Menotti's Revolt Giuseppe Barboglio
- Red Shirt Officer/Veteran DO NOW!!! Take out a sheet of paper and write down your answers. A Strange Turn of Events - Battle of Sedan: Louis Napoleon -Captured by the Prussians
- Later gives up his throne , and flees to Britain
- Marks the End of the Second French Empire
- Thrid Republic of France Declared- Swears it will continue the war till the end
- Garibaldi fights for the New Republic- Led the Army of Vosges(Volunteers)
- 1871- Prussians capture Paris - the Republic admits defeat to end the fighting