Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Drug effects and Aspirin
Transcript of Drug effects and Aspirin
Effect of drugs
Watch Mr Harvey
Mild analgesics function by intercepting the pain stimulus at the source, often by interfering with the production of substances that cause pain, swelling or fever. • Aspirin is prepared from salicylic acid. • Aspirin can be used as an anticoagulant, in prevention of the recurrence of heart attacks and strokes and as a prophylactic.
The effect of drugs
The effect and synthesis os Aspirin
Description of the use of salicylic acid and its derivatives as mild analgesics.
• Explanation of the synthesis of aspirin from salicylic acid, including yield, purity
by recrystallization and characterization using IR and melting point.
• Discussion of the synergistic effects of aspirin with alcohol.
• Discussion of how the aspirin can be chemically modified into a salt to increase
its aqueous solubility and how this facilitates its bioavailability.
Get into pairs and prescribe
2 OH Benzoic acid
Ester form as it make stomach, mouth and thraot bleed
carrying message to brain
Prevents sweling - arthritis e.g
Strokes - thins blood
Too much - acidosis fatal
Parcetamol e.g less probematic but high does kidney and liver damage