Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Southern Colonies
- In 1606, King James I granted the request for a company of English merchants to settle in the region called Virginia.
- Investors in the new settlement formed the London Company. This company allowed the group to share the cost of establishing the colony.
- They arrived in North America on April 26, 1607.
- On May 14, colonists founded Jamestown about 40 mi up the James River in VA. This was the first English settlement in North America
- By the time winter arrived, 2/3 of original colonists had died from marshes full of disease-carrying mosquitoes.
Settlement in J.Town; cont.
By: Max D'Souza, Griffin Santana, Zachary Kellar, Jake Cawthray, Kyle Poppiti, and Sean Foster.
-The colonies were established south of Virginia. In 1633, English King gave land to eight of his supporters.
-The Carolinas were originally one colony.
- By 1730, 20,000 slaves lived in the colonies.
- Slave code: laws that were used to control slaves.
- King Georgia 2 granted a charter to James Oglethorpe, and his crew to found Georgia.
- In 1733, Oglethorpe and 120 colonists founded the city Savannah.
All Southern Colonies
View of plantations in the south.
- John Smith took control of J.Town in 1608.
- Colonists received help from Powhatan Confederacy of Native Americans. The confederacy taught the colonists how to grow food and provided food for them.
-In 1614, John Rolfe married Pocahontas, daughter of the Powhatan leader. 3 years later she died in England.
- 1622, colonists killed a Powhatan leader which led to Powhatan people attacking VA settlers.
- The English Crown canceled its charter in 1624 and VA became a royal colony
Indentured servant- person who signed a contract to work for 4 to 7 years for those who paid for their journey to America.
-Not all laborers in VA came from Europe. A Dutch ship brought the first Africans to VA in 1619.
1676, group of former indentured servants led by Nathaniel Bacon attacked some American Indians.
-Governor tried to stop him, but Bacon and his followers still attacked and burned J.Town known as Bacon's Rebellion.
-As J.Town was developing in VA, new groups of colonists began planning their move to America.
-Many English Catholics came to America to escape religious persecution.
-1620s, George Calvert, first Lord Baltimore, asked King Charles I for a charter establishing a new colony in America for Catholics.
Toleration Act of 1649: bill that made it a crime to restrict the religious rights of Christians.
Daily Life in Virginia
This what Jamestown might have looked like in the 1600s
first 2 pages of notes with Sean. Crossword with Griffin. After crossword, worked on prezi.
first 2 pages of notes with Jake. Prezi with Max and Zach.
last 2 pages of notes with Max. Crossword with Jake. After crossword, worked on prezi.
Group Facilitator. last 2 pages of notes with Griffin. Prezi with Sean and Zach. highlited important information.
second 2 pages of notes with Kyle. Prezi with Max and Sean. Highlited important information.
second 2 pages of notes with Zach.
Video on people in Jamestown