Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Persuasive Speech: Gun Control
Transcript of Persuasive Speech: Gun Control
The Problem & Resolution By: Steve Mowry The Problem? References National Institue of Justice. (2013, April 3). Gun violence. Retrieved from http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/
Garbaring, J., Bradshaw, C., & Vorrasi, J. (n.d.). Mitigating the effects of gun violence on children and youth . (2012). Journal Issue: Children, Youth, and Gun Violence, 12(2), 2. Retrieved from https://www.princeton.edu/futureofchildren/publications/journals/article/index.xml?journalid=42&articleid=166§ionid=1066&submit
U.S Fish & Wildlife Services, (2008). Hunting statistics and economics. Retrieved from website: http://www.fws.gov/hunting/huntstat.html Firearms are a primary source of violence and death in the U.S.
2011 - National Institute of Justice: Gun Violence
467,321 crimes were committed with firearms (NIJ, 2011)
68% of all murders were committed with firearms (NIJ, 2011)
41% robberies are armed robberies (NIJ, 2011) Contributing Factors News Media
- Video Games Why we should not take non- automatic firearms away "Guns are deeply embedded in American society." (Garbaring, Bradshaw & Vorrasi, 2012)
Good ways we use guns
- Hunting: 12.5 million over 16 hunted in 2006 ("Hunting statistics and," 2008)
Gun Free Zones offer not protection
Increase illegal activity and trafficing
- Effects of Prohibition in 1920's The Resolution Laws and Regulations
Current Legislation 2013 (Gostin & Record, 2013)
- Universal Background checks on Firearm sales
- Ban assault weapons
- Limit weapon ammo capacity to 10 rounds
- Increase enforcement on illegal firearm trafficking
- Increases compensation for mental health disabilities
Hold firearms owners accountable
- Safe storage
- Trigger locks
Gostin, L., & Record, K. (2013). A systematic plan for firearms law reform. Informally published manuscript, Law Center, University of Georgetown, Washington D.C., Maryland, Retrieved from http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/facpub/1182/
Parnell, W. B. (2009). Gun Control : Background, Regulation and Legislation. New York: Nova Science Publishers.
Squires, P. (2002). Gun Culture or Gun Control? : Firearms, Violence and Society. London: Routledge.